Sunday, April 20, 2008

Reminiscing Part 3

When I was 23 or 24, I was dating this guy JC. We decided we would like to go on vacation and decided to go to Baltimore's Inner Harbor. I had been once before with friends and thoroughly enjoyed myself. This was the end March and still a bit chilly. We packed the car and off we went. JC had the map in hand and I thought he knew how to read it. WRONG. The area was so congested we missed the exit. Instead of getting off and trying again, I made the decision to stay south on Route 95. On 95 is where I got my first and only speeding ticket. Who knew that a four cylinder Ford Mustang could go 75 miles an hour. Anyway guess where we ended up? Yep you guessed it, balmy Florida. Because we were supposed to end up in chilly Baltimore we had to go shopping for summer clothes. We went to Universal Studios, parked the car and got the tram into the park. How stupid were we, we didn't realize that the parking area was labeled so one would know where they parked their car. The other thing we didn't know was this was Florida's raining season. Whenever the sky darkened, we would go indoors. We managed to stay dry most of the day. When we got back on the tram to head back to the car, the heavens opened up. The rain was just pummeling the people on the opposite side of the tram. We thought this very amusing and I am sorry to say, laughing about this. We got punished. The tram turned and we got soaked. Over the loud speaker the driver said that we are stopping for people who parked at blank and blank. JC and I looked at one another and I said "do you know which aisle we parked in?" He said "No. Do you?" I started laughing. He didn't think this was too funny. We took a chance and got off what we thought was where we parked the car. WRONG AGAIN. It took another 30 minutes of walking through the thunder, lightning and pouring rain to find that little four cylinder Ford Mustang. For me, this was the highlight of the vacation. JC didn't think so. Money was running low and we only stayed a couple of days. When I got home my mom and dad asked how my vacation was and where did I go? I told them the vacation was great and we ended up in Florida. My dad started to laugh. My mom said "WHAT? Florida. How did you end up in Florida?". I told her we missed the exit and continued south. My dad said "that's where I thought you would go." JC and I didn't date much longer after that vacation. Oh well, that is a vacation that I will never forget.

3 comments:

bobbie said...

Pretty darned funny.

(But I'm waiting to see Cliff's comment.)

Dianne said...

what a great story!

most of the truly great times I've had have been spontaneous.

nora leona said...

I love it. I remember missing exits when I lived in south Jersey and just thinking it would be easier to drive to Florida. Every relationship needs a good rain story.
Thanks for sharing!