Sunday, April 13, 2008

Very little words and lots of pictures

The first pic is of Ralphy my boy. In the past I have said that I thought he was gay so I put a cat toy football next to him to make him look a little more manly. Look at him though, isn't he beautiful.


The next couple of pictures are of Tiger and of course Ralphy. After they eat dinner they play. Ralphy took off and climbed the tree with Tiger in hot pursuit.

This is Tiger.


This is Ralphy

Last Tuesday I went to Jake's Landing Road. It was early afternoon, so I didn't think I would see to much. Of course I was wrong.
Osprey
Egret

I spooked him and he took flight.


Last weekend was pretty crappy so I decided to take a ride to Beaver Dam and check on the Eagles nest. There was a bunch of noise and I got a picture of these two geese through the binoculars.



There was a lot of activity both in and around the Eagle's nest. My binoculars are not powerful enough to really see what is happening in the nest, but I managed to get this picture with one of the adult eagles perched next to the nest.


My friend in work Lauren gave me a website for a humming bird migration map. I e-mailed this to my friend Bobbie and told her about the map. She e-mailed back saying thanks for the video I enjoyed it very much. Okay what is she talking about. I didn't e-mail a video. I called and asked. Here on the website I sent there was a cool 8 to 9 minute video. This is my goal this year. I want to have hummer's eating out of my hand. I have no idea how I am going to achieve this, but I have to give it a try. Wednesday night Lauren and I went to the library for a seminar on humming birds. Very interesting. After it was done we went and talked to Karen. Karen was the girl at Jake's Landing and the one who told me about the Eagle's nest. I told her I was there and that there was a lot of activity. She told me that there are two eaglets in the nest. How exciting. She said that they spotted them through a high powered scope. I want see them.

This weekend was a fairly good weekend weather wise. Yesterday I was finally able to cut the weeds and pull weeds in my flower beds and garden. For me this was a very good day. I love to work outside.

Today I went to the zoo. Here are some of the pictures I took. I say some because I took over a hundred pics.


I don't know what kind of bird this is. I thought he/she was pretty with the pink bill and legs.
Same with this one. I thought it odd and pretty with an all white body and black legs and head. And get a look at those feet.

This is an Elliot pheasant. Beautiful markings.

This is a Golden Pheasant. This is a very colorful bird.

This is the Snowy Owl.

Turtles. There was turtles everywhere today. In every pond area there were turtles.

Of course one of my favorites. The tiger.

The Red Panda

The Ocelot

The sleeping leopard.

The Black Bear.

The Gold Lion Tamarins

The Cotton Top Tamarin

The momma lemur with baby on her back. Isn't the baby cute.

The momma lemur with baby wanting to have some of what mom's eating.

There is a story about the next several pictures. Our zoo now has two Bald Eagle's. A male and female. Here's the story. Apparently some asshole hunter, ops, hunter thought it would be fun to shot them with a shotgun. Luckily, they did not die. Sadly they were wounded. They were rehabed in Virginia. Unfortunately, they cannot be release. Even though they can fly, some of the buck shot damaged their eyes and they would not be able to hunt properly. So our zoo built an enclosure for them.
For me I was in aah of being so close to shall majestic creatures, but sad because they do not belong in a cage.



I don't know why, but this is my favorite picture.


Well I said very little words and I feel that I have lied to you, so I am going to leave you now and I hope that you have enjoyed some of my pictures.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I sure enjoyed all these critter pictures!! Ralphy is so handsome!

Good luck with the hummingbirds!! I'd say you can do it if you are patient enough! They always seem to be fairly friendly around here.

bobbie said...

I love the pictures of Ralph and Tiger. Considering the distance and that you took it trough binoculars, your eagle and next are terrific! I am anxious to go again to Beaver Dam and actually see the nest. Maybe you'll show me just where it is.

Cliff said...

Great pics. That is a gay cat. I can tell.

Dianne said...

I love all the pictures! I have never tried taking a photo through binoculars.

Ralphie and Tiger are lovely.

Ralph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ralph said...

Great post and great picture - after the first paragraph. The name Ralphy and gay in the same sentence got me a little uneasy. Nice touch with the football.
Ralph (no y)

nora leona said...

Great photos, I've learned a ton about birds on your blog. Both Ralph's (Y and no Y) are cuties.