Friday, March 19, 2010

I had a visitor today

When I came home from work, I got the food ready for the kittens. I took it out and came back inside and went right back out again. I heard a mew that didn't belong. When I turned, here comes a strange cat toward the steps. The protective parent I am, but myself between the kittens and the stranger, shooing. That cat didn't give a shit about me and ran past me. The kittens took cover as the stranger started eating.

Oh what a skinny cat this was. I grabbed the dishes and walked into the yard, with stranger mewing and following me. He had a hard time eating and kept going from bowl to bowl, but eventually got most down. This was a clue that he had teeth problems.

Looking at this cat, you could tell it was sick. Running eyes, sneezing. He kinda of wobbled when he walked.

If the situation was different and he was healthier, he would be welcome. But my protectiveness took hold.

I called animal control.

While we waited, he purred. He had more food. He had cat milk. I petted him. He enjoyed the attention. I petted a spot that he didn't like. He hissed reveling missing fang teeth. I petted him some more. When I would go inside, he would meow. Sometimes trying to come in.

What ashame. This was a very tame cat. This was someones pet. I feel that the person who had him couldn't afford to take care of him and booted him out. I think this because I have never seen him before. (also to make me feel better.)

Animal control came. He agreed it was someones pet. He also agreed that this cat was sick. We got him in a carrier. The poor cat was crying. The big sap I am, I started to cry. In that short time, we bonded.

He said he would take him to a vet and go from there. I know what the outcome is going to be. I take solace that he did have a meal, drink and attention. And for about an hour, someone who cared.

When they were filling out the form, animal control gave me a tidbit of information that I did not know. Did you know that there is a New Jersey State law that if you feed a cat for ten days, the cat is then legally yours? I didn't. I made it clear that this was the first time I seen this cat.

3 comments:

bobbie said...

Poor thing. You have such a soft heart.

I hope your readers pay attention to your last paragraph. You feed him - he's yours!

Dianne said...

the stray animal problem was huge before the economy got trashed

now it's a crisis!!

I love ya Lisa
when I hit the lottery we'll get a farm together and rescue everyone :)

Tootie said...

Awe, poor kitty was lucky you have such a kind heart. :) We've had a problem here on the island with canine distemper in raccoons lately. Many have died, and even though there is a large population of them here, it's still very sad. We found a sick one a couple days ago and called our friend who works for C.R.O.W. She took it there for treatment, but I'm sure the outcome won't be good. Hopefully warmer weather will be an improvement for the wildlife here.