Saturday, February 9, 2008

Pleasant surprise

I needed filters for my air returns so I went to Swain's in Cape May. This is a great store. Half the store is the man's store and the other half is for us ladies. Whenever I went, I would always see Lucy. Lucy is a bird from the macaw family. Very beautiful coloration. She was there everyday except Sunday's. I took my camera to get a couple of pictures of her. She was not in her usual spot. I found my filters and went to checkout. I asked the cashier where Lucy was and she told me Lucy was retired. How disappointing not to be able to get a picture of this beautiful bird.

My favorite place at the moment is Cape May Point. My friend Barb mentioned in one of her entries about getting lost at the Point. I decided to copy, but with a mission. I wanted to find the Post Office and the General Store. I FAILED. I rode around for about a half hour to 45 minutes. I know the General Store exists because I found it once. As does the Post Office because the girl at the Cape May Bird Observatory said she walks to it. I was very surprised with the number of homes and winding streets. Frustrated I went back to Lily Lake and took pictures of the Swans and ducks.








These ducks were pretty cool. They would dive under the water and then pop up several feet away.





I left and decided to go down Sea Grove Avenue. A building contractor friend of mine is building his house there and I wanted to see how far he had come. I'm going pretty slow and come across an open field and I pull over. All of a sudden two deer go leaping across. It was like slow motion: Put the car in park, put on hazard lights, grab camera, turning it on while getting out of the car and hurrying across the street, wishing all the while the deer are still there. They were, but boy are they quick. It turned out to be a mama and her baby. Here of some pictures of the baby.



They bound across the street into another field. Here is a picture of the baby deer with the mama deer.




Here is mama.


This is mama on the right above the mailbox and the baby is on the left with white tail held high and proud.

They got to far into the field for me to get anymore pictures.

So back in the car I went. It was like de ja vu. I looked over at the field and 3 more larger deer are sprinting across the filed. They were to quick for me to get any pictures, but what an awesome sight to see. Deer leaping with white tail held high.

Unfortunately I have the bladder about the size of a walnut and with 20 ounces of Wawa coffee in me, it was time to get home. (I know. More than you needed or wanted to know.) All in all today was a pleasantly surprising day.

"Leaders don't force people to follow-they invite them on a journey." Charles S. Lauer

8 comments:

Cliff said...

Sounds like a neat store. Now for the deer.
They have overrun the country here in Nebraska and do thousands of dollars of damage to me each year here on the farm.
You'll have to get a faster car if you're going to try and run over them.
:)

bobbie said...

Nice post, Lisa.
Don't listen to Cliff! I know you won't, because you love animals too much. But yes, I know, deer do cause a lot of grief for farmers.

Mary said...

Awww... There must be a better way to manage the deer. I would have jumped out of my car, too, for a nice photo session. Lucky you! Your last statement made me laugh out loud.

Lucy Stern said...

A nice day out in nature. Loved the ducks and the deer. I like the quote on the bottom too.

nora leona said...

Great photographs!
I totally forgot about Wawa!

bobbie said...

OK. This is it - Tag - You're it. Check out my blog for the whole meme story, and if you're so inclined, do one for the world to see.

Shelly said...

What a great nature day. We don't have deer here at the farm, but they are plentiful at our vacation property. They pulled out the last two trees I transplanted! Stinkers.
So glad you made the chili, if I make the original recipe it's entirely too spicy for me also, that's why I cut the spices back as far as I do.
Do you mind if I tag you for the meme Bobbie sent out? I'm a new blogger so I don't know that many others to tag. That is IF I can figure out how to do it. lol

Dianne said...

I came over from bobbie's blog.

Love your photos. I'm "up the parkway" from you. One of my favorite things to do early on a sunday morning is take my camera and just wander down the parkway.

Nice to meet you ;)