Sunday, November 18, 2007

Pumpkin Cake

With Thanksgiving several days away I thought that maybe there would be some who don't eat pie. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good slice of pumpkin pie, but I love a good cake. I wanted to share this recipe with you. My mom came across this recipe in the newspaper some thirty years ago and I have been making it ever since. As soon as the weather gets cooler, out comes the recipe and soon the spicy aroma is mouthwatering. This cake can be made ahead and frozen.

PUMPKIN CAKE
4 eggs
2-2 1/2 cups sugar
Cream. When creamed add
1 cup oil
1 cup pumpkin (pumpkin pie mix by Libby's)
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup water
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon (I love cinnamon, so I always add a little extra)
Mix well
Bake in a greased tube pan for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes in a 350-375 degree oven (depends on your oven. I baked mine 350 degrees for 1 hour 5 minutes)
Test by inserting toothpick until there is a little cake on the toothpick (don't overbake). Let cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and completely cool.

I generally make two cakes because I don't want to waste the pumpkin pie mix. I will cut the cakes in half, freeze all but one and put the other one in the refrigerator. I think it tastes better cold with a cold glass of mix.

I hope that you enjoy this cake as much as I do.

No comments: