Saturday, December 15, 2007

What I learned this week...

Get your money out of the ATM - quickly. Not a good sign when your toilet gurgles while taking a shower. What happens to trees when saltwater flood their area. Allowing your cat on you computer desk.

I went to the ATM early Thursday morning before the bank had opened. Thursday is the day when Shoppe's come out. Shoppe's are a free weekly paper with people trying to sell...well their junk. I started my transaction and then started to get those plastic wrap ties off the Shoppe's. Next thing I know the ATM is making a lot of noise. I turn around to get my money and it's gone, the receipt of the transaction is there, but no money. I was like "I think the machine sucked my money back inside, but still debited my account." At lunch, I went to the bank and asked them if you waited to long to take your money out, will the machine suck it back in? Nancy said it has been known to happen. She checked my account and sure enough it showed the transaction. I asked her how I get my money back? I know I have to wait until the ATM is settled to prove that it is $60.00 over. She consulted with the bank manager and she said "Well today is Thursday and I settle the ATM on Thursday's." I said I picked a good day to be stupid. They called me later to tell me that the ATM was indeed $60.00 richer than me and that I needed to go back to the bank and sign a piece of paper before they could credit my account. I went up yesterday. Nancy started filling out the paperwork and she got the part about how it happened. She wrote "the customer" and stopped. I filled in the rest for her "because the customer is stupid and should have grab the money right away instead of fighting with plastic ties for a Shoppe." She told me that the same thing happened to another customer the same day. That he was doing something with his checkbook and didn't get his money fast enough. I didn't say anything, but I think Nancy was trying to make me feel better. However, she didn't have to bother because quite honestly I found the whole situation amusing and a learning experience. The problem is I am out $60. bucks and I don't know when they will credit my account. LESSON LEARNED.

Yesterday morning I am taking my shower and the toilet starts to gurgle. THIS CAN'T BE GOOD. After the shower I looked in the toilet and most of the water is gone. I figured I had a clog and I would fix it by doing a load of wash and that would push the clog out. Not a very good idea. I called a plumber friend of mine and he said it sounds like I have a clog. WELL DUH. He said he didn't have they machine to clear the clog and gave me the name of a guy he uses. He said that this guy doesn't have the best personality in the world, so be prepared. Fine by me, I find people like this a challenge. I called and left a message. About 45 minutes later he calls back. I told him what was going on and he said "Yup. You have a clog. I will be there this afternoon." I asked if he meant after noon. He said "that is afternoon isn't." Well okay then. I asked him if I could flush the toilet? He said "I don't know where the clog is and what the clog is so you could take the chance and flush, but this may not be a good idea." Then he asked me if this was my house? I said yes. He asked if payment was going to be a problem? I said payment would not be a problem. I mean really I am already in the hole for $60. bucks right. And I said to him "just like a doctor making sure you get paid". I don't think he found this amusing. I told him I would see him when he got here. I did take the chance and flushed the toilet, but of course I pushed the envelope one to many times. He finally got here at 2:30. Was I SO happy to see him. He got his machine out and said I need to see your bathroom. He turned on the shower, sink, flush the toilet and started the washer. I asked him if he was out of his mind? He just smiled. Payback I think, but if he made a mess HE WOULD BE CLEANING IT UP. Lucky for him, no mess was made. As per my norm the questions started. He said I could asked as many questions as I like, but they would cost $5.00 a piece. Good thing this was pay week. I went in the house to check on things and the water in my washer and tub were rusty colored. I came out asked him why and he said "Miss, I just clear the clogs. That sounds like a question for your plumber." Some help he was. Turned out to be nothing, the water cleared right up. He got his flashlight out and looked down the pipe. He looked at me with a smirk on his face and asked if I wanted to look? I said yes. I asked him if the flowing water meant he cleared the clog. "Yup" he said. I said he was a very good man. As it turned out, I found this man to be very pleasant and we chatted for 20 minutes after he was done. I don't know what my friend was talking about. LESSON LEARNED.

There is a section on Route 47 with a lot of dead trees.


I never knew why this this was. I was talking to an old timer. I can call him an old timer because he will say that about himself too. He told me that this area was beautifully wooded at one time and that this had been freshwater wetlands. He said that a really bad storm came through with extremely high tides and flooded this area. Of course trees don't like saltwater and they all died and this area is now saltwater wetlands. It is sad that all the trees died, but it truly is a beautiful site to see. LESSON LEARNED.



A couple of weeks ago, while I was on the computer, my cat was pesting to get up on my lap. She wasn't happy with my lap. She gets on my desk and looks out the window. Okay - fine, cats love looking out windows. Then she proceeds to lay down. Me being a softy when it comes to my baby (as previously posted) have to get a blanket for her to be more comfortable. BIG MISTAKE.

She has now taken over the desk. LESSON LEARNED, BUT NOT RESOLVED.
Well, again I have gabbed enough for one post. I hope that everyone learns something new everyday and make it a fun, amusing experience.

No comments: