Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 10 - The final day

The day was beautiful. No clouds. No rain. Cool temperatures. Simply a beautiful day. I decided the first order of business was to mow the lawn. I was half way through when the mower became very hard to push. I noticed that the front wheel had become uneven with the rest. I turned the mower off and went to lift it to readjust the wheel. Well my not thinking side took over and instead of grabbing the mower by the wheel, I grabbed the engine instead. I burned three of my fingers. Running cold water over them, they felt pretty good and returned to mowing. When I was done, they really started burning, so I grabbed the ice. Then I remembered a comment Kay made about putting tea on sunburn. I figured what the hell and tried it. Thank you Kay. Worked wonders. No burning. No pain. So if you burn yourself, soak tea bags in warm water and soak the burned area. Don't rinse, just wipe the tea water off and you should be feel in no time.

Today I went to the Point. First stop Lily Lake.

Click to enlarge and see the resting mallards.
Path over dune


Ferry in the distance with small wave crashing onto rock pile



I generally don't take pictures of people, but today I made an exception.


These two Mennonite girls were too interesting to not take their picture.
I don't know if they realized I was taking their picture, but I sure hope the don't mind.
Click to enlarge.
She has a great expression.



Family of swifts.

Click to enlarge.
See the little one peeking out?

Along the trail

Peaceful and serene.

Cape May Lighthouse
After I left the Point, I was riding down the road and made a quick u-turn.
I ride past this pasture all the time. The only thing I seen are horses. Not today.


A cute little calf.
I tried to get a better angle and got the shock of my life. I mean that literally. There was an electrified wire surrounding the top of the fence. OMG did that hurt. I don't no if it was the shock, but about five minutes later I got a nasty headache.
So I had enough pain for one day and came home.
I have to say that today was the best day. Weather wise and experience wise.
But all good things must come to and end. I will now have to wear long pants. Ugh. Worst yet. Socks and shoes. I have not worn them in ten days.
So until next time, enjoy yourself.

8 comments:

bobbie said...

So glad you had a good final day, despite the pain. That calf is a cutie.

JC said...

Tea ... I hadn't heard that before.

Nice photos ...

MmeBenaut said...

Ouch! You poor thing, Lisa. The lengths we go to to get that special photo; but he is worth it. I love all these summery looking photos. It looks like you had a wonderful day.

Kay said...

Ooooooooooh! Really neat pictures. Gosh, I never thought the tea bags would work on a regular burn. Very nice to know. Thank you.

Cliff said...

Sorry about vacation being over but I'm not sure you could stand much more 'fun.'
I'be been shocked by a fence several times and I think it's the surprise that is the worst part. Well that and if you have hold of something that is grounding you,,, well the effect is double.
Sorry about your burn and thanks for the tip.

Rachel said...

I've been catching up on your staycation. Sounds like a very restful week! I know it has probably flown by for you. That seems to be how it goes.

Loved all your pictures! My cats and the dog do not care for storms either. The loud thunder gets them all shook up! Just a rain they don't pay any attention to. Loud crashes of thunder and the dog tries to climb on top of my head. I think he's calmer than he used to be though. Thank God! It's no fun having a dog trying to climb to the top of your head!

I love your house with the cute front porch! Looks very inviting!

I do hope the squirrel got her nest made okay!

Getting shocked by an electric fence is no fun but I think the surprise is the biggest thing. I got shocked once and my friend with me said the look on my face was priceless! I started to turn away and then I turned back and she said I had a look on my face like, "what the heck was THAT?" LOL

Marla said...

Glad that you had a good last day of your vacation! Nice photo's!

Mare said...

Not good touching the electric fence!! Glad you're ok.