Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day and another mini rant

Wishing all the dad's out there a Wonder Father's Day :o)





The forecast for yesterday was supposed to be a wash-out. When I woke up, the sun was shining. Improving my mood immensely and deciding it would be a good day to mow. It seems we are always mowing any more with all the rain we have been getting.

Then it started to get cloudy. I hopped on the net to view the map. Good grief the green heading our way was huge. I mowed right away before the rain. After I mowed, I was putting fresh water in the birdbaths and you could heard the deep rumble of thunder in the distant. Figuring I still had some time before it started, I called Bobbie to see how she was feeling. While on the phone, the rumbling got closer. We decided to turn off our computers.

I was sitting out back chatting with Bobbie, when all of a sudden, I heard sizzling, a zap and a very-very loud boom. It struck close, although we didn't see anywhere were it could have stuck.

I met my friends this morning in the store. One friend said her whole house shook. The other was in the park walking her dog. When it hit, she wasn't walking anymore. She was running back to the car. She said her boyfriend called to see if she was alright, but her cellphone died before she could tell him she was fine. He raced to the park to make sure she was okay. What a nice guy. Why can't I find a guy like that.

Anyway, most of yesterday was a wash-out. I got most of my house work done and decided to read. Then I got sleepy and took a nap. When I woke up, the sun was shining again, which was short lived.

I started making dinner when it started to get cloudy again. Then the angry rumbles. Back to the weather map, turning off the computer and firing up the grill. Hoping to have dinner done before the rain. When I went out to get my meal off the grill, I said out loud, 'it will probably start raining any minute.' Me and my big mouth. It poured. Anyway, dinner was excellent.

Laying down on the couch reading, there's a knock at my door. I look over the book and guess who's standing at my door? Ahh, I knew you'd guess right. The 'can you turn your computer on to charge my ipod' girl. I guess my expression was less then cordial. When I opened the door I asked her what she wanted. She wanted to use my phone to call her mom. She just got home and her mom wasn't there. This is something that happens at least once a month. I asked her where she was and she told me her friends house. I asked her where her brother was and he was home. She calls her mom who was out for a walk.

Now my rant. First, these two kids are in second and third grade. They should not be home alone. Second, by the girl calling her mom, it costs me money. You see it is not a local call. These kids are not my responsibility, but yet they always come to me. Why? Why can't they find someone else to go too? Why couldn't the girl go back to her friend's house and call her mom? Better yet, if the mom insists on leaving these kids home alone, why not get a phone? Why not get another cellphone? If she's to cheap to spend the money, why not write a note? That's free. I think when my phone bill comes in, I'll take it to her and tell her she has to pay.

You know, I'm generally a nice person. I help people out when they need it, but this is getting a bit much.

2 comments:

bobbie said...

You really have to talk to that neighbor! Or maybe you should type her a note and leave it, so you aren't tempted to smack her. She has to make better arrangements for her kids.

Mare said...

Perhaps you could tell her about your kid sitting fees, and make it an outrageous amount! Or tell her you have a communicable disease! LOL