Sunday, June 14, 2009

Nervy neighbor

It's been awhile since my last entry. My desk was just the way I thought it would look like. Piled high. And in different areas. Took a couple of days to catch up. Nothing changed at work. Same thing, just different days.

My friend broke her little toe getting out of her car. It seems she was paying too much attention to the guy in the car next to her and her foot, correction, her toe got caught on the car. She said that her toe was pointed outward. Her husband took her to the doctor, who set it and gave her a hard shoe to wear. Apparently she broke it in two spots. She's fine, but in some pain.

So Friday night I start vacuuming and mopping the floors. My phone rang and I didn't recognize the number. Listening to the message, it's my neighbor. I pick up and she asked if I have a computer. Yes I do. Well she bought her daughter an Ipod and it has to be charged. Her friend had came over with her laptop and loaded music, but had to leave. She asked if I could charge the thing for her. Okay. Bring it over. The daughter tells me it has to charge for three to four hours. She asked me what time I was going to bed? I told her I would call her mom, but I usually go to bed around 9:PM-9:30PM.

Well we plug the thing into my laptop. The light blinks a couple times and goes out. Me not knowing a lot about electronic stuff, knew something wasn't right, but the daughter said it was okay. Fine. She leaves and I continue with the floors. After I was done, I hop on my laptop. As soon as I opened it, the light on the Ipod started to blink. That's when I realized that the laptop had to be open. Well. I'm not leaving my laptop open for three to four hours to charge this thing.

I'll interject at this point that the only time, my neighbor's kids talk to me is when they want something. They won't even wave if I'm outside. Their mom isn't much better.

Okay back to the Ipod. I then turn on my monster (desk top). This computer is old and cranky, (like me.) And takes about five minutes to get up and running, (like me before my coffee.) So now that the monster is up and running, I plug the Ipod in and the light starts blinking.

Now I called my friend with the broken toe. I tell her about my neighbor. She told me that the computer can't be in stand-by to charge an Ipod. Apparently, when a laptops lid is closed, it's in stand-by. See how much I know about electronics. Anyway, she asks me if my neighbor bought the a/c adapter? I told her she must not have if she asked me to charged it up. We end up on the phone until after 10:PM. Not wanting to call my neighbor that late, I decide just to walk the Ipod back. I tap on the door and my neighbor answers. I give her the Ipod and tell her that it's not fully charged, but should last most of the day. Almost the first words out of her mouth is, "you were supposed to call." Excuse me. I have wasted electricity charging your daughter's Ipod and 'you were supposed to call' is your answer.

So yesterday I turn the monster off. Another timely matter. It takes just about as long to turn it off as it does to turn it on.

Today I'm watching a movie and when the commercial comes on, I go to the bathroom. I'm on the throne, when I hear tapping at my front door. When I come around the corner, guess who's standing at my front door? My neighbor's daughter with Ipod in hand. I open the door and she says, 'can you charge this for me?' No. My computer is off. 'What?' No. My computer is off. 'Well can you turn it on?' Ah no. She just looks at me. I say again, my computer is off and I'm not turning it on. She just looks and leaves. No thank you for charging it up before.

Did they think that I was going to be their Ipod charging station?

I guess I was brought up differently. I wouldn't dream of asking a neighbor or a friend to do something for me without thanking them. Or in some cases giving them something for their trouble and kindness.

Here are a couple other stories about this same neighbor.

A couple of years ago, she asked to borrow my loppers. She said she would bring them right back. A week later she did.

Last summer her friend came down. So my neighbor knocks on my door telling me her friend forgot to bring her hairdryer and could she borrow mine. No. I use my hairdryer everyday. 'But she forgot hers.' And I use my hairdryer everyday. I guess she is just going to have to buy one. 'But she forgot hers.' Well she is just going to have to go to the store and buy one. Don't you remember last year when you asked to borrow my loppers and you would bring them right back? You brought them back in a week. I use my hairdryer every day and I'm not going to buy one for myself to use because your friend forgot hers and you would "bring it right back".

Anyway, enough bitching about that.

There's some good news with the swallows at work. There are at least two babies in one of the nests. I'm gonna have to bring my camera to get their picture.

I'm starting to see more hummers. Male and female. For the past several weeks, Bobbie and I haven't seen many. Sometimes it would be days before we would see one. Now, we see them a couple times a day.

I got to use my power drill today. I love my power drill. Bobbie needed holes in her flower pots, so we got that done today. She thanked me very much for doing that for her. See, that's what it's about. Doing something for someone and them thanking you. Why? Because they appreciate your time and what you did for them. Not what you can do for them.

6 comments:

bobbie said...

You're a softie, you know. You just have to learn to say "No" to people like that.

I've seen the hummers more than just a couple of times the past few days.

Kay said...

Oh dear, Oh dear! I'm so sorry! You know... there are some people who just haven't learned manners and they wonder why they're not liked very much. Bobbie is right though, you can't let those people take advantage of you. What a shame they're your neighbors.

Deborah Godin said...

Aaaaay, don't let the turkies get ya down! A few well-placed "no's" ought to do it. And, wouldn't you love to know how much a baby hummingbird weights!!

Dianne said...

wow those neighbors are rude!!

I have this picture of you chasing them away with a power drill LOL

Rachel said...

What nerve of your neighbors. Sounds like the Mother is bringing up the children to be just like her. Not even a thank you! How rude!

I used our electric drill the other day to drill a hole in a concrete block! It sure felt good to be using a power tool again. It had been awhile!

Mare said...

I cannot believe the nerve of your neighbor! How rude!!!