Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day at the beach

Most of the eastern shoreline has been in the depths of back to back nor'easters. Basically that means high winds, rain and flooding.

Friday the Wildwood bridge was closed due to flooding. I read in the paper that many more had been closed.

Ocean City didn't fair well. Speaking with a friend there, she said that most streets were flooded and there was only a very small lane to get on and off of the island.

I didn't go out at all yesterday, so the only thing left to do was housework. Oh joy.

I wasn't going to be kept inside, two days in a row. The winds were high and temps were low. So long pants(ugh), socks (double ugh) and flannel shirt (am I out of my mind? I'll sweat my butt off), gather my shopping list and camera. So first stop, Wawa for gas. When the weather is hot and miserable or cold and damp, I always tip the attendants. I tell them to get something cold/hot to drink. It really is amazing to see the expression (shock at first), then the smile and the heartfelt thank-you.

Anyway, next stop food shopping. Then Starbucks for my Pumpkin Spice Latte'. Then McDonald's for breakfast.

Next was Cape May. They have a pavilion there that blocked most of the wind. I met a very nice gentleman who came down to see the waves. We were both disappointed.

I heard a guy next to me say, 'is that a turtle?' I'm like, 'oh boy. I can take a picture of a sea turtle.'

Well here's the sea turtle.

I explained to the guy that this was a horseshoe crab. And explained to him and his wife a little bit about them.

In the distance was a couple who really knew how to have a good time.




'Kick up your heels and have fun.'


There were a couple good waves.



Next stop Cape May Point.

This clam shell was just sitting there. I thought it looked pretty cool.


The winds were definitely stronger on the bay. It had stopped raining so I took a walk on the beach. (Was I glad I wore the flannel shirt).


When I had enough of being blown around, I turned to walk back to the parking lot. Caught a guy taking my picture from behind. (Not my best side.) Instead of embarrassing the guy, I just grinned and asked how he was doing.
Next stop, Lily Lake. Came across this bird and managed to get a couple bad shots before he flew off. I have no idea what it is. If anyone does, please let me know.


Decided to ride around the Point for a while and came across another pair that knew how to have a good time.




I found a set of steps over the dune and seen a bunch of black dots in the ocean. Again I have no idea what type of birds these are. I zoomed in as much as I could. They kinda look like ducks to me. What do you think?



I must tell you I got lost. Now Bobbie I can hear you saying, "What? How can you get lost at the Point? There's only one way in and out." Well trust me. I got lost. So when your up to it, we'll go for a ride and get lost together.
So weaving up and down different streets trying to find my way out, I came across this path to the beach.



By then I was wind blown enough and ready to get home and put my groceries away.
So I hope the weather is better where you are. And you kick up your heels and have fun.

4 comments:

bobbie said...

Lisa, I have been lost at the Point many times! The streets there can be really confusing, and I have found myself going in circles. But it would be fun to try it again together.

Your photos are pretty special! They really give the viewer the feel of the wind and spray and cold.

Deborah Godin said...

Terrific essay in photos and words! I feel all wind-blown and refreshed now!

Kay said...

We've heard about your Nor'easters over here in Hawaii. I hope your weather improves. It's hot and muggy over here. Yuuck! I wouldn't mind being a bit wind blown over here just to cool off. I loved all your photos!

MmeBenaut said...

Ah, it was fun getting lost with you in your photos. What a fabulous day.