Monday, October 12, 2009

October happenings

For me it is always a toss up between whether I prefer spring to fall.

I do love spring with everything coming back to life and the vibrant colors all around after a long dreary winter.

But how I love fall. The changing colors on trees. The cooler temperatures (yip-pee). And the activities offered in the month of October.

Saturday offered the annual Oktoberfest in Ocean City. It is a ten block block party. Well really it is a ten block craft show. I like to be there when it starts at 9: AM. Generally not many people up and about then. This year I was wrong. There were lots of people. Too many for my taste.

People tend just to stop right in front of you to chat. Or instead of making their way to a booth, stop where they are. Instead of causing a scene and yell, I cleared my throat. Somewhat loudly. This actually worked. Of course by the time I got to the car, I had a sore throat. Small price to pay.

Anyway, my purchases included candles, (like I need anymore). The best cashew and pistachio nuts around.

I also stopped at a couple photographers booths. They did have some very beautiful pictures, but honestly, (and not that I am being conceited), some weren't any better then some of mine.


********************
Another happening on Saturday is the annual Lima Bean Festival in West Cape May.

I made my way there, but ooh the people. Parking was basically non-existence. So I decided to scrap that idea and go to one of my favorite places. Lily Lake.

There wasn't much activity around the lake this day. But when I came around a bend, I came upon this beauty.



We were having quite the photo session. When...


They were oblivious of me and my camera. They were taking pictures themselves. How could I be mad about that. But I did want them to move so I could continue my session.

They finally did move and that is when they noticed me. When passenger finally saw me and had the 'Oh shit. I'm soo sorry' look. Had to laugh at her expression.

So anyway, me and swanny resumed our photo shoot.


The 'shy yet coy' look.


The, 'I love the camera and to pose' look.
********************


Thursday night, I had a Planning Board meeting. The Chairman takes beautiful pictures and we do talk about the pictures we have taken.

He said that he was going to go to Hydrofest in Wildwood Crest. He said I should go. That I could probably get some nice photos of the boats and spray.

So yesterday, over I went. Again, lots of people. I had to park six blocks away and wondered if this was going to be worth the walk.

The first sight I saw.



The Chairman wasn't kidding when he said lots of spray.


Close race.


Another close race and more spray.

Four boats. Neck and neck.



Then there was the occasional break down.

Not a happy camper.


Whoa Nellie.
I wouldn't be standing that close to that boat.


This was their practice lap.
So not a lot of spray, but still very close.

Very close race.
This was the first time I ever went to the Hydrofest. And yes, it was well worth walking six blocks. I will be going back next year. Only I will be taking along a chair.
********************
Today I am going to a Zumba class. My friend goes and enjoys it very much. I understand that it is a dance exercise class. I also understand that it is non-stop dance for an hour. Hope I can last the full hour.
Well enjoy your Columbus Day.
********************
Zumba update: If you love to dance, I really recommend trying Zumba dance. It is a great fun workout.

5 comments:

Deborah Godin said...

An amazing series of shots! And, for sheer excitement, I don't imagine the Lima Bean festival would have been as edge-of-your-seat as the boat thing, haha!!

bobbie said...

So happy to see a new post from you! Your boat pics are super! Swans too!

Gretchen said...

Absolutely gorgeous shots! I'm an October fan because I adore Halloween. It's always been my favorite holiday. I probably have more decorations for it than for Christmas. :)

MmeBenaut said...

Fantastic photos there Lisa. You're obviously enjoying Fall. Our Spring has turned out to be a bit of a fizzer; its still cold and wet and we've had wild storms over the last day or so. Well, nothing like those you get in the US but for us, it was, well, windy and we've been forced to stay indoors. The cats are fed up with the yucky weather.

Kay said...

Terrific photos, Lisa. I'm so happy to see you back again. Much as I love fall, spring was always my favorite season. I just loved all the flowers.