Saturday, March 29, 2008

The day off work from Government

This morning in today's paper was this letter to the editor

"Why close offices on Good Friday?"
"Why were state and municipal office and public schools closed on Good Friday, when prayer in public school is viewed as an almost criminal act?
Most of the private sector and federal functions, such as the post office, are open on this day.
Once again, the double standard prevails. I find it even more insulting that taxpayers fund this paid day off." Jeff Holzer, Middle Township

There was this controversy for Black Friday, when our governor said that all State employee's must work or take a vacation or personal day if you want the day off. This was supposed to save the taxpayers money.

As most know, I work for local government. And yes, I had Good Friday off. As well as the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday). My problem is I don't understand why there is so much controversy. Most Federal, State and Local government employee's are salaried. So whether we work or not is irrelevant. We still get the same pay check. My thinking, and I could be wrong, is having some days off does not cost the taxpayers more money. My opinion is it saves some money. Not much, but it saves. How? Well first there is the saving on electricity. Also on heating and cooling. How about fuel. Our inspectors must drive in Township vehicles, using up very expensive gas. Then there is our Road Department with the trash and recycle trucks. How much diesel do you think they burn in a given day. I'll agree that it is a pain in the ass when the Township is closed a day during the week especially if this was your recycle week. Our recycling is picked up every other week in the winter. So if your day falls on a day the Township is closed, you must hold your recycle for three weeks. Our trash is picked up the next day. I could go on with how I think a day off from Government during the week saves taxpayers.

I have another problem that really raises my hackles. When people say to me "I am a taxpayer." Well guess what, "So am I." People who work for Government are not exempt from paying taxes. We do not get a reduced rate, we do not get special services because we work for government, so get off that high horse. Your not alone in paying high taxes.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy having a day off. And I will be the first to say that some of our days off are stupid. Example: Election Day.

I am not trying to defend government offices having off. I am just having a hard time trying to figure out why there are some who feel it costs the taxpayers money. So if anyone could please shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

from one taxpayer to another, i hope you enjoyed what must have a well-deserved day off!

also, I'm sure there isn't any less work when you return after a day off, so it's not like you really are working less. the work gets done, just in a day less that week.

there are always going to be people raining on your parade. put up your umbrella, stick your tongue out, and go skipping along. :)

Dianne said...

I think "...and the taxpayers pay for it" is just a hollow, blowing off steam phrase used by people who are pissed off by something or anything.

I do have to say though that I never understood why religious holidays become "official" holidays.

Cliff said...

I think the problem you allude to is the result of the series of decisions set forth by the Lawyers of the Supreme court. They have alienated a large segment of our society in an effort to remove all reference to religion from society. The opposing efforts you speak of are just for the purpose of making a statement.(usually, and with tongue in cheek) The argument would say we can't have a nativity scene or wreaths on public grounds because we can't show favoritism of one religion over another or especially over the three atheists in the county. So says the court. So the other side can and should rightfully argue that there should be no days off for Sundays, or Christmas, or Easter, or Thanksgiving as they all have Christian beginnings. And we will need to rewrite the entire Constitution because much of it is based on the ten commandments. We should be able to get our drivers licenses renewed 7 days a week they will argue. We'll take off New Years day and then go 364 days in a row.
Now, all of the original arguments are nonsense in my mind. I agree we need days off and you have to do your work when you get back. There is no escaping the work.
I have many times voted to give county workers days, or half days off when it makes sense to do so. I usually put myself in their shoes when I make those decisions. re: giving them all of December 24th off when Christmas is on a tuesday. They get 1/2 day on the 24th but why make them heat the building for a half day when there will likely be no customers.
We did have them work the following Monday because of end of the year check writing by land owners trying to spend money. Sorry for taking over your blog.

bobbie said...

Yea, Cliff! We do agree on a lot of things.
The "I'm a taxpayer" line always steamed me when I worked there, too. I wonder just what percentage of the cost they think they pay?

Dianne said...

Hey Lisa!!

Happy Belated Birthday!!

Hugs and more hugs.

Ralph said...

I work for the government and I know I pay taxes - we just wrote out the check.
For our department every tax payer in the state pay - 19 cents. Yep, cents.
Ralph

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.