Sunday, March 16, 2008

Jake's Landing Road

This was the last owl watch that the Cape May Bird Observatory was having until January 2009. I thought that there would be a lot of people. I was wrong. There were three of us. We saw a lot of Bald Eagles. Mostly juveniles and one adult. A pair of juveniles were, I guess playing. That was a pretty awesome site to see. They would fly around one another and sometimes lock talons.

The wind was picking up and honestly it was quite cold. One of the guys from the Observatory said he thought there was a duck in the meadow. Next thing I hear Karen saying "What was that. Did anyone see a fin?" We started looking a sure enough up came a fin. It turned out to be a very-very small dolphin. Karen said, "I just want you folks to know how bizarre this is." This was the first time they saw a dolphin in the meadows. Luckily the little guy was headed back to the bay. I am going to have to try and look up what breed of dolphin. He was small and black with a white or light colored dot on his dorsal fin.

We were all pretty cold and had just about given up see a Short-Eared Owl, when he finally decided to show up. He was in the distance and flying around so it was hard to get a good look at him, but it was awesome to see.

Karen asked if anyone wanted to see the Woodcocks. The fee was $6.00. That last time I past because I was too cheap to pay that. Also, I didn't have any money with me. For some reason tonight I decided to go. We seen and heard the Woodcock. That was pretty interesting to see and hear. As the Woodcock was flying back down, the guy and me said, "what is that?" Karen said it was the Great-Horned Owl. Good grief are they big. It was getting pretty dark and he flew back over head. Another awesome experience. I am glad tonight I decided not be cheap.

I did get some nice pictures of the sun rays through the clouds and the sunset. I will post them in a couple of days. I think I was annoying some of the people by taking pictures while they were trying to bird watch. The nice person I am, I stopped.

All in all, tonight was worth having numb feet, a running nose and paying $6.00.

5 comments:

Dianne said...

I feel like I've been out of town! I missed such great posts.

Have you warmed up by now?

Your flowers for bobbie are lovely.

and I'm in love with all the kitties!

Cliff said...

I wonder if the flower deal would work on a wife. Maybe not.
I didn't know you were such a bird brain. Or maybe I should say you think about birds a lot. SHOW ME THE PICTURES!

Rachel said...

The cats are so pretty that you have pictured in the previous post!! How cute!!!

This adventure sounds fun to me. I have always wanted to go on one of those bird/owl/whatever watch and never have. Now I see what I was missing!!

bobbie said...

Sorry I couldn't make it. I'm glad you had such a great night. Always eager to see pictures too.

Ralph said...

I'd say that was $6 well spent. It is a little surprising that only three people showed up.
Ralph