Sunday, March 8, 2009

My Baby and rambles

Thursday night while watching Survivor, my baby went into her litter box. A couple minutes later, she went in again. Then again. Then I noticed her running from one litter box to the other. I went to check and discovered she was having a hard time peeing.

I woke up alittle after 3: AM to hear her in the litter box again. This time she was able to pee. At that time, I figured whatever was the problem had resolved itself. Next morning the same. Running from one litter box to the other. Lunch time she was able to pee again.

I called the vet yesterday morning and explained the situation. The receptionist told me they were booked for the day, but when the vet came in, she would explained the situation and call me back. 20 minutes later she call me back and told me this was an emergency and bring her right in. I told her I was at least a half hour 45 minutes away. Silence. I told her where I lived and it would take that long to get there. She said, "the vet said this in an EMERGENCY and come now." Running around like a loon to get carrier, throw to put in carrier, shoes on, get cat in carrier and out the door in five minutes.

From my front door to theirs, we were there in 25 minutes. It would have been 20, but I ended up behind someone doing less then the speed limit. I admit, I was right on their bumper trying to push them along. Didn't work, but I made it there. When I walked in, I said, 'hi to the receptionist. She said, 'hi'. I said 'Donna?' She said, 'yes. Is this Lovey?' Yes. She yelled back that Lovey was here. A girl came out to take the carrier. I looked at her. She said, 'I need to take 'him' back for the vet to look at 'him'. I said 'her'. She apologized and said that as soon as they could, they would bring me back in a room. Dumbfounded, I stood there. This never happened before. I always went with my baby. I looked at Donna and said, 'what do I do now?' She said, 'whatever you want.' I want to go with my baby, but I can't. So I went to the bathroom. At least I can go. Then I paced. After about five long minutes the girl came out with my baby and said to follow her to a room. She said that I have a 'very sweet cat.' Me, "yes. I know. She's my baby." We weighed her and she is 6lbs. 15 ounces. Lightweight.

The vet came in and said when she pushed on her bladder and stream of urine came out. I told her about my baby straining to go and only a couple of drops coming out. She said they were testing her urine. The test isn't done yet, but the white blood cells are high. Okay, I know this is infection. We also discussed blood work to test for thyroid and kidney function level. I told them to do that. She had bloodwork for this a couple of years ago and it would give them a comparison.

After about ten minutes, the vet came back into the room to tell me my baby had a urinary tract infection. Relief. She also apologized for making me rush in. She thought it was a male cat. I'm just thinking, 'with a name like Lovey?' She left the room, telling me she would be back with medicine.

Now my curiosity got the better of me and I started to go through her chart. I knew then why she thought it was a male. Ralph's information was in the chart.

The vet came back in and we did the fluid thing and she gave her a shot of antibiotic. We talked. She said she gives her cat fluid everyday. I asked why? She said her cat was in kidney failure. I looked at her and said, "so you understand." She just looked. I continued with, "Our cats are old and failing. But when you look into their eyes and see so much life, you do what you have to do.' She said 'yes. As long as they are eating, drinking and running around. I do what I have to do.' She also said, 'they let us know when it's time.'

So alittle poorer. We came home with medicine for the next fourteen days. Got through another one.

*************************
Weather wise, yesterday was beautiful. The sun was shining and the temperatures were in the 70's.
So far today it is sunny. Not quite as warm as yesterday. And a bit windier, but beautiful none the less. I think today, I may go out for a ride. Maybe take some pictures.
I still haven't got my new camera yet. I haven't called them to see if they have it in stock either. But then again, a lot of money has and will be leaving my checkbook from these couple of months. First the expense with the tires. The heater. Which I still don't have the bill yet. And now my baby. That's okay with my baby. I would do without, before. Well I'll leave it at that.
Did everyone remember to turn your clocks ahead last night? I hate this. Why can't they just leave the clocks alone? Today will just fly by.
Well that it's. I have nothing more. Until next time. Get outside and enjoy the weather. Soon it will be to hot.

10 comments:

bobbie said...

So glad all is well again with your baby.

So glad the weather has given us a break yesterday and today. It's been such a pleasure!

Deborah Godin said...

Glad Baby is okay, and got some meds going. Such a tough scary time when a pet is sick. I'm looking forward to a long spring - in no rush for the slow boil of summer, accompanied by all the bugs we get around here. On second thought, can I take back what I said about being sick of snow??

Kay said...

I sorry you're going through such a trying time with your little baby. It's great that you've got such a nice and understanding vet. I didn't even know that kitties have urinary track infections.

Gretchen said...

Glad to know she's ok for now. It's so hard when they get to that stage in life. I've gone through it far too many times myself. It's the worst decision I've ever had to make.

Dianne said...

I'm so glad Lovey is OK!!!

Mare said...

I did that whole experience with you. I'm glad that it worked out okay. Our pets give such unconditional love. Whew!

Ralph said...

Woke up this morning to a couple inch of unpredicted snow. Muttered something about weather people and went back to bed for awhile. I planned it on daylight savings time which I hate as well.
Ralph

Lisa said...

Scary! Poor lovey.... and you. The wait must have been terrible!

I'm so happy to hear it's a simple thing. phew.

Mary said...

Glad it was only a UTI but sorry you had to rush to the vet like you did. We do anything for our animals, perhaps because they are so innocent and rely on us completely.

Let's have spring, Lisa! As I write this, it's in the high 30's and raining :o/

Marla said...

I finally got caught up on all of your posts. I am sorry about all the heating problems you had. Glad that you are warm now. Cat problems too, well glad that the health problems with your cat was not something servious! Hope that you have better days.