Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Compliment

Anyone who works with the public knows that at times it can be very taxing. For the most part though it is fun. One never knows what they will say. Most times we never know what they will do.

Today was one of those days. I had just walked into my office from lunch. As always the phone was ringing. I answered while taking my jacket off. The lady says, "I was wondering if you could give me information on my lot. You know setbacks and such. I am thinking about doing an addition. I'll give you my block and lot number." Me - 'address will do'. She proceeded to give me her address and I gave her the information she needed. We ended up talking for 15 minutes.

Before I left for the day, I checked my e-mail one final time. This is what greeted me from the manager.

'Thank you for your e-mail regarding Lisa. I agree that Lisa is an asset to the Township. I will let Lisa know how much you appreciated her help. Sincerely.'

Well then. I scrolled down and this is what the lady wrote:

'I would just like to take a moment of your time to advise you what a pleasant experience I have just had with one of your employees. Slightly confused by the regulations and codes for building and additions I placed a call to your Construction office and spoke with a LOVELY woman named Lisa. Not only was Lisa informative, she was pleasant, polite & professional. In this world where people are quick to criticize, I think you should know what a wonderful employee you have in this lady. She is truly an asset to the Township. Thank you for your time.'

Well be still my heart. How nice was this. I quickly printed this and walked over to my boss. He was on the phone. When he hung up, I gave him the e-mail to read. After he read it, I told him I wanted it framed. This won't happen of course, but I will white out her e-mail address and hang it on my bulletin board. I will also send my own e-mail to thank her.

It is not everyday that someone will go out of their way to write an e-mail or letter. Or call and tell your employer how helpful you were. For those of you who do, I say 'THANK YOU'.

11 comments:

Dianne said...

how wonderful! that lady has her head and heart in the right place
usually people only take the time to complain

Brava to you!

Kay said...

That is so lovely, Lisa. How wonderful that she took the extra time and effort to acknowledge your kindness and professionalism. We NEED for people like you!

MmeBenaut said...

Brilliant! Somehow I just knew you would be professional, polite and pleasant at work. And you're not just an asset to the township; you're an asset to us too! Bravo Lisa.

Dianne said...

A little birdie told me it is your birthday

Happy Birthday Lisa!!

Daryl said...

Nice ... and Happy Birthday!

Deborah Godin said...

Oh? Your b'day? Have a happy happy day!! :-) And it was great to read about your email boost!

bobbie said...

Time to celebrate!

And, YES! Frame it.

Cliff said...

You apparently deserved the accolade. Congrats for doing a great job.
Good choice of word by using 'taxing' while working for the gov.
Happy Birthday Lisa.
Get that email out again during negotiations and give to your boss again.

Ralph said...

Lisa
If you haven't already, starting today you need to create an "I Love Me' file - just for e-mails and letters like this. That way when you get the other kind and you will you can pull out the good one out and read them.
I too am I public employee and know these good letters are few and far between - not because they aren't derserved but because people fail to to take the time to write them. Good for this lady, good for you.
Happy birthday as well.
Ralph

Jim said...

Be sure to take pictures, Happy Birthday, Lisa! (Heard it through the Cliff Vine.)
Happy Birthday, Lisa!
Happy Birthday, Lisa!
Happy Birthday, Lisa!
Happy Birthday, Lisa!
Happy Birthday, Lisa!
Happy Birthday, Lisa!
Happy Birthday, Lisa!
Happy Birthday, Lisa!
Happy Birthday, Lisa!

That's all the better I can sing. I even got asked to leave a church choir because of my bad ear. They say I'm getting better.

Happy Birthday, Lisa!
..

Mare said...

It is a wonderful experience when someone recognizes something that you have done well. Good for you!I try to do this for people in the public when I can.