Thursday, April 30, 2009

Jury Duty

A month or so ago I received notice that I was being summons for jury duty. Oh great. I know jury duty is our civil duty, but I don't like it. Why? I do not feel right making a decision about someones future without having all the facts and details about the crime that may have been committed.

Anyway, back to the point. When we received a jury duty summons, there is a questionnaire that must be filled out and returned. I forgot to do this one time and they sent me a warning to fill it out and send back. Well no warning for me this time. I promptly fill it out and sent it back.

Shortly after, I received a postcard in the mail to which I assumed it was verification of receiving the questionnaire. Yesterday I received another postcard from them that I did not send in the questionnaire. 'Hello. Yes I did,' so I called them. I explained that I sent it back within days of receiving it. She said she would get my questionnaire and to please hold. She gets back on the line and says, ' this happens all the time.' Then she asks, 'Are you physically and mentally able to serve as a juror?' Yes I am. Why? There's silence. I asked her what I marked. She said I checked 'no.' Couldn't help myself. I starting laughing. I told her maybe I did answer correctly. She said, 'Sometimes we have days like that. Considering where you work, I can understand. Sometimes it's not easy working with the public.' Too which I started laughing again. I told her that sometimes someone will come into my office and I greet them with a 'Good morning. How are you today?' But they are fit for bear and start tearing into me. Then I say to them, 'whoa. Back up. I haven't done anything to you yet.' We laughed.

Anyway, she corrected my questionnaire and now I await the day that I have to call to see if I must report.

6 comments:

Dianne said...

I did jury duty a few times in NY. It can be grueling and it was a sacrifice since I work on my own but when I think of how I'd want people like us on a jury if I was in trouble

well - it makes it easier to get thru

Happy belated 200th post!

Rachel said...

I did jury duty once. It was a pain mostly because of just the aggarvation of going there each day and maybe you'd be chosen...maybe not. There was a trial scheduled but when you got there they had plea bargained ..so the trial was not needed. Just things like that! As Dianne said above...I'd want people like us on a jury if I were the one in the hot seat!

bobbie said...

Don't know how it happened, but in 77 years, I never had jury duty. I was called once or twice, but each time when I phoned, they told me never mind. - On the other hand, my husband was called every year of his adult life, and a couple of years after he died. Go figure.

Mare said...

Never served on a jury. Your post made me laugh though as I read about how you filled out the form!

MmeBenaut said...

I've never served on a jury either. Never been asked. You are privileged Lisa dear. The facts and details are supposed to be presented during the trial and someone with your common sense and experience is absolutely perfect for jury duty. Sounds like you had quite a giggle about it anyway. A sense of humour probably helps too, when dealing with the other 11.

Kay said...

I remember the wait during jury duty. They haven't called me yet in Hawaii but I know they will....just a matter of time.