Sunday, May 3, 2009

I don't get it.

How do they find me? Now everyone knows that I am an animal lover. But did someone send a news letter out to the furry critters letting them know that they would have a safe haven at my property?

I have birds. Which I love and have by choice with all the feeders and birdbaths. I have the kittens. At first, not by choice, but by their mama giving birth to them in the shed. Now I have them by choice and wouldn't have it any other way. I had a snake. Definitely not by choice. I don't want them around. I don't even consider them animals. I've had raccoons. Cute little things, but they really don't belong around here. And a pheasant.

Well today while on the phone with Bobbie, I was outside have a smoke and something catches my eye. A possum. A big possum. I shoo it. Okay. These things are nocturnal. Why is it out during the day. So it is dreary and rainy, but it is still day time.

Of course Bobbie asked if I got it's picture, but I hadn't because I didn't have my camera with me. I went out later on and what do I see again? The possum. I watched it walk across the yard, climb the neighbor's fence. That's when I ran in for the camera. When I went looking for it, I couldn't find it.

Went out again, I seen it walking along the house. Ran in for the camera. Came out and finally tracked it down.

Here's the ugly little sucker. Sorry the picture is blurry.



I changed the setting on the camera to try for a better picture, but set it to video not realizing it. I have tried to upload the video. I don't know if I did it right. And if I did, it is very short and bad. If I didn't load it right, if anyone can tell my how to do it, I'd appreciate it.





I called my friend in animal control. He said that they are having babies this time of year. Oh wonderful. Baby possums. I asked him if because they are having babies, is it normal to see them during to day. I don't know if he was lying or not, but he said it was. He said to worry if it was walking like a drunk, gooky eyes and something else I don't remember. Well it doesn't have gooky eyes. Didn't walk like it was drunk. And I was about four foot from him, well I guess it's not a him. I was about four foot from her and she wasn't hissing or growling.

So yes, I love animals. I love watching animals. But I don't live on a farm. My property is 50 x 100. I would never hurt an animal and would protect it if in danger. But.....

Okay, the first video was an accident. I didn't realize I had set the camera to video. Now I know.

The possum showed his/her ugly self again. This time I was ready.

I have named the video "Run possum. Run"

Because there is no sound, this is what happened. The possum was heading toward the front. The kids were out there playing. It stopped by the hose, but then proceeded. You will then understand the title of my little video.

5 comments:

bobbie said...

Didn't think you'd get the post typed, what with laughing so hard at Mr.Possum running in that video. He does look comical.
You did good, kid. Hope to see lots more videos from now on.

MmeBenaut said...

Poor little possum - definitely out of it's element in the day time. Your video is good Lisa!

Ralph said...

Good videos. That possum looked like he was just plain unsure of where he was or what was going on.
Ralph

Deborah Godin said...

Aw, now don't you think they're kind of homely/cute - not truly ugly? I had one the summer before last cross my yard (in the daylight too) with one baby clinging to her back. Coolest thing!

Marla said...

That's a big possum. I had a rabid racoon in my alley one summer. Animal control had to come and shoot it.