Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day 5 of Staycation

Was cloudy when I woke up, but not raining. A good sign. Decided to go to a new place that someone told me about for pictures. When I got there it was foggy, but nice. There was a long path with wetlands on one side and a pond on the other.



I seen something moving across the pond and zoomed in as far as the camera would let me.



A glossy ibis poking his/her head up.



Walking a little further, this little one was just too cute.



I walked the path some more, but the bugs were getting bad. I decided to turn back, telling myself I would come back another day when hopefully the bugs were gone.




There was this call up ahead. I slowed down and walked as quietly as I could, (the best part about vacation for me, no socks and shoes. Just flip-flops.) So anyway, walking as quietly as I could in flip-flops, spotted this guy/girl.








What a cutie he/she was. I think it is a sandpiper of some sort, but I have no idea. I tried looking it up in the bird book, but to me they look the same.


Deciding to take the long way home to sight see, came across some people fishing in the fog.


Continuing along, the skies started to clear and what a beautiful day it turned out to be.



Shellbay Avenue.

There was a work truck parked next to me. He told me that there were deer along the edge of the phragmities. I did zoom in and was able to get one picture before the went behind the phragmities, but it wasn't a very good picture at all.


Anyway I spent some time here. It was quiet and peaceful. The birds were enjoying themselves too.


Hearing a familiar call, I looked to the sky. The one shorebird that I do know.



Least Tern.

(This isn't a very good picture, but I like the other Least Tern in the bottom of the photo.)


It was fun to watch them. They would hover, looking down into the water and then dive for a meal.


All in all, it was a good day. No rain, the sun shining and pictures taken.

3 comments:

JC said...

Great Photos .. where do you live ? I'm jealous of you being so close to the water ..

bobbie said...

The bird before the least tern is gorgeous!

Mare said...

Isn't nature spellbinding? I love your photos!