Monday, December 28, 2009

Stupid question of the day

Back to work after a three day weekend is hard. Especially this time of year. Not to many people coming in my office or calling for that matter.

Anyway, my first and only person of the day, so far, was a contractor. The contractor asked me if I remember a job he did that needed our approval? Why yes I remember that job. It was for a second floor deck. Well anyway, the homeowner didn't pay him for the work, so he filed suit against them for his money. In turn they filed suit against him siting forgery. They are saying that he forged the applications to us. He asked what he could do? My answer was to contact his attorney. His next question was if I or my boss could write a letter that he didn't forge the applications. Did he have too much eggnog? I told him that we couldn't write a letter like that. The only thing I(we) could do would be to copy the approved applications for him. I told him that once I had the applications copied, I would call him.

He also tells me that the owners didn't like the fiberglass deck so he put vinyl over top the fiberglass. He said they didn't like getting wet when on the first floor deck. I now have some bells ringing in my ears.

After he leaves, I look up the application number and pull the file. There were three applications. When reviewing them, the second floor deck was supposed to be open. (We have a rule here in the Township that if you have a second floor deck over a first floor deck, water must be able to get through the second floor deck and get the first floor deck wet. If not, it is considered a roof and it is a whole new ballgame.) Now I'm in a pickle because we didn't approve what was built. Do I tell my boss when he comes back Wednesday? Would he do anything about it? Probably not. Or do I just let the chips far where they may?

2 comments:

bobbie said...

If he gets an attorney, the attorney will contact you and all you have to do is give him the copies and tell him just what you said here. Both parties were wrong in what they did. The judge will sort it out.

MmeBenaut said...

Definitely talk it over with your boss Lisa.