Saturday, March 1, 2008

Post Office

Yesterday I took a much needed day off from work to get some chores down. One of my chores was mailing in a rebate. I recently purchased a laptop with two rebates. The first could fit into a regular sized envelope. The other I had to borrow a 6 x 8 envelope from work. I filled out and made copies of the forms. I took the 6 x 8 envelope to the post office because I figured added postage would be needed. The girl weighed the envelope and said postage was 41 cent. I apologized for taking up her time. She then turned the envelope over and said "Oh wait. There will be an extra charge because the envelope has a clasp on it and it cannot fit through the machine." I asked her how much? She said "17 cents." I said you have got to be freaking kidding me. I have to pay 17 cents more because there is a clasp on the envelope? She said "yes." I started to laugh. I couldn't help myself. I mean how stupid is this. 17 cents because the envelope has a clasp. I asked her if the clasp was not through the hole and I just taped it, would it still cost me 17 cents? She said "it probably would." I walked out of the post office laughing. What originally would cost the standard 41 cent now cost me 58 cents because of a clasp. I had to call my friend Barb and tell her this. She said "I would have taken the clasp off." Well just call me dumb. I didn't even think about doing this. Now I am not a cheap person. I consider myself frugal, but this was too much. I think I am going to start doing what I do best and asked questions to see if I got ripped off.

I have a history with the post office. There was a girl who worked there who is now retired (thank god) who I would get into a fight with just about every time I went into the post office. I would go with a package or clasped envelope and she would do her thing. Next thing you know she would say "It will cost x amount to mail standard and an additional 10 cents to mail next day. I will mail next day." I would say "no." She would say "but it is only 10 cents." I would say, "yes, but it is my 10 cents." We would go back and forth about this and I would finally say, "Fine. If you want my package to get there the next day, you pay the 10 cents." Needlessness to say my package would be sent regular mail. Another time I had a bill for an MRI I had on my hand. I called the insurance company about it and they told me to mail it to them. I sent it certified return receipt. After about a week and a half of not getting the green card, I went to the post office. I explained to the girl, who was defending the post office vehemently that this isn't their fault, that I haven't received the green card. She was saying that by sending CRR it is not guaranteed delivery. I said you mean to tell me that I paid over $5.00 and the post office cannot guarantee delivery? she said yes. I wouldn't let up and said that there was a bill for $5,000.00 inside that envelope that must get to the insurance company. She finally said that she could be a track on it. I said thank you. This is all I am asking is for you to look into this. And now my favorite. My mom and I lived next door to one another. We both had received a card saying we had a package to pick up. The next morning they delivered my mom's, but not mine. I went to the office to pick up mine. The girl who delivered my mom's was there and said she didn't deliver mine because the dog was in my yard and when the dog saw her in my mom's yard she ran around and tried to viciously attack her. I wanted to make sure I heard her correctly. I said my dog was in my yard. She saw you in my mom's yard and ran around to attack you? She said yes. I said "well that can't be true. You see she is blind and didn't see you. Nor did she try to attack you." The expression was priceless. I could go on about my experiences with the post office, but I have rambled and ranted enough. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

No comments: