Sunday, September 21, 2008

Weigh In, self defense class and a meme

Ahhh that time of week again. Pulling the scale out of the closet and taking the leap of faith and getting on. Good news. Lost the two pounds that I had gain. Total weight loss back to 24 pounds.




I am glad that I that I cheated way back when and rewarded myself with the slice of Chocolate Lovin Spoon Cake. I would still be waiting for the goal weight loss of 25 pounds. Which seems to be eluding me. I'll get there. Just going to take yet more time.




********************************

Yesterday morning I took a self defense course for women and children at the library. I was surprised at how many were there. There were quite a few mothers and daughters.


It was an older gentleman who was teaching the class. He taught us a lot of great technique's that we could use. He taught us how to block a punch. Area's of the attacker's body that are vulnerable. If we were to be attacked with a knife, how to disarm the attacker. And different kinds kicks. He would show us how to do a kick and say, "No. That is not a push kick. That is a snap kick. This is how you do a push kick." I don't mean to be mean, but what difference does it make. If I am being attacked, I am going to be fighting with everything I have. I don't think I am going to have time to say, "Oh. Can you wait just one minute. I am trying to figure out if a push kick or snap kick is the right one to use."


One thing that did bother me throughout the class. He was telling us what kind of punch and where would kill a person. When I was talking to Bobbie I was telling her. I guess if I am put in that situation, kill or be killed, I would feel differently. But I think it would have been more appropriate, especially with very young girls in class, to teach strictly self defense. How to defend yourself and get away to safety.


I do recommend that all women and young girls take a self defense course. There is a lot to learn to defend ourselves if need be.


*************************************

Bobbie was tagged for a meme. She didn't tag anyone, but had offered if anyone wanted to have fun, to do this meme. Why not. So here we go.


1) Where were you ten years ago? HUM. Ten years ago I was working with Bobbie at the Township. That's about all I can remember from ten years ago. I have an excellent memory, but not when it comes to what happened when. Or what I was doing then. I can tell you that what ever I was doing I was having fun. It was fun working with Bobbie and I do miss working with her.


2) What is on your to-do-list today? I have nothing on my to-do-list today. I have already completed that list. What I will do today is blog surf, continue reading my book and go for a walk at the Point.


3) What would you do if you were a billionaire? Oh my. How many zeros is that? Well let's see. First, I would make sure my friends didn't have to want for anything. Then I would purchase a very large parcel of land and make a sanctuary for old, sick and abandon animals. Big and small. I don't care. I would want to make their remaining time as comfortable as possible and give them the love that they deserve. Sorry no snakes.


4) What places have your lived? Being the world traveler, ha-ha, I have lived in Villas, New Jersey. Then Cape May, New Jersey. Then back to Villas. What can I say. I love where I live. It is my home.


5) What are your bad habits? Bad habits? Do I have bad habits? The reluctant answer is, yes. I smoke. I do procrastinate, but hey maybe something more fun comes up. Whatever I was supposed to do can wait a little bit longer, right? But guess what, I made an appointment for the foot doctor. This Thursday is the appointment. I have only put it off for, what is it now, three or four months. But if something important comes up, I will have to postpone going and re-schedule the appointment.
6) What snacks do you like? I guess I would have to say that chocolate is my favorite and something that I could eat anytime. Other then that, it really depends on my mood. If I crave salt, I want potato chips. Popcorn is up there on the list. Not really into pretzels, but I do enjoy soft pretzel nuggets with spicy mustard and honey mustard.
Well that's it. I have nothing more to say except I hope everyone has a happy Sunday.

6 comments:

Rhea said...

No way. You don't have ANYTHING on your TO DO list?! how is that possible?

Congrats on the weight loss and the self-defense class!

Gretchen said...

Congrats on the weight loss. :) I should take a self-defense class, but just don't have the energy. Sitting on the computer for more than a half hour is more than I can manage most days.

You go, girl!

bobbie said...

Congrats on the weight loss. That should make you feel better.

I must agree that smoking is a really bad habit. I always get a kick out of the fact that you only smoke outside, never in the house. See - even you think it smells awful.

I'm glad you went for the self-defense lesson, and are going for other classes and lectures. Keeps you busy and off the streets. Wish I could join you more often, but most of them are after my bedtime.

Dianne said...

"keeps you off the streets" LOLOLOL

I smoke too Lisa! I've quit several times, the one time that really lasted was when I was pregnant. that ain't gonna happen again ;)

Cliff said...

Two great posts in a row.
When you become rich can I come live in your home for old, sick animals?

Unknown said...

Grats on 24 pounds. Thats something to be proud of. But.... did you have to talk about the chocolate spoon cake?? Now I want something gooey and sweet :)