Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Doctors - ugh

Hello all! Was up half the night with a running nose, coughing and the sinus drip. So today I feel like shit. I had a doctor's appointment this morning. Not for this cold. I haven't gotten my period in 48 days. I called the gynecologist office last Monday for an appointment. Explained to the receptionist why I was calling. She scheduled the appointment for this morning. She also told me to write down the dates when I had gotten my period as far back as I could. I asked her if this was something that I should be concerned about. She asked me how old I was. I told her 41. She said that with my age, I could be starting menopause. Now I have to have some fun. "So you think I'm old? 41 is not old." She tried back pedaling, but it was to late. I had to raze her some more. She also said that I could have a thyroid problem.

So with book in hand, I go to the office. After about a 1/2 hour the receptionist calls me to the window and hands me two sheets of paper. One was questions regarding my bladder. The other about family history of cancers. One by one, the receptionist called us to the window to hand this out. I did have a question on the cancer sheet. One of the girls in the office really couldn't answer the question, but said when the doctor looks over the sheets, any questions I have I can ask. (He didn't even look at the papers.)

I finally get into an examining room. Weight and blood pressure taken. My blood pressure was 148/86. Every time a doctor has taken my blood pressure, I am told it is high, but it ends there. I know this isn't extremely high. But it is high.

The doctor finally comes in the room. I explained to him that I haven't gotten a period in 48 days. He looks at the paper where I wrote the dates of my periods. I explained that I was regular every 25 days with an occasionally 28 day. Then nothing. He does the examine. After I ask him what is going on. He tells me to get dress and he will be back in a couple of minutes. I get dress and am buttoning my shirt when he knocks and comes in. I love this. He looks. Said, "Oh. sorry." And then turns to leave. I told him to wait. I only had two more buttons. Really. The guy has just seen every bit of me and now he acts modest. I asked him if this was normal. He said that normally woman don't start menopause until 50. He said that everything felt okay. He said to keep track for the next five to six months. If I still haven't gotten my period to call him and he would run some tests. He said that one thing that could be causing this is hypothyroidism. So my question is why wait. A lot can happen is five to six months. Why not write me a script for blood work now and rule it out. No. I have to wait five to six months.

I guess what is pissing me off more than anything is he hardly asked any questions. I have looked up menopause on the net, and there are a lot of symptoms. He didn't ask if I have experienced any. He treated this as an annual check-up.

Maybe I am just cranky because I don't feel good. But does anyone else feel when they go to the doctor's, they are getting the blow-off?

5 comments:

Marla said...

Doctors are like that, always in a big hurry. I wouldn't wait 5 or 6 months. Why not rule out the thyroid issues. That's to long a wait. Well that's my opnion!

bobbie said...

I wouldn't wait either - certainly not that long. Doctors, unfortunately, are human, and they make mistakes and are inconsiderate and a lot of other things, just like the rest of us. Sometimes more so. You have to speak up and demand to be taken care of if they try to brush you off.
Look who I'm telling that to! You don't usually just let things go!

Cliff said...

It does seem a bit cavalier doesn't it.
The hypo thyroidism takes a long while to deal with. It about drove me nuts. Not the disease, it was the slowness of the drs. Then it seems every endocrinologist thinks they are God.
How about Tennesse Christmas by Amy G? I'll go look, maybe you already have it down there.

Kay said...

I agree with Bobbie. You do have to speak up for yourself and if the doctor does not improve, find a doctor who is a better fit. Definitely.

Lisa said...

Yes. Get your Dr. or another to get your tests now. It really may be nothing. I started signs of early menopause last year and was really scared. I have talked to many women since then and found out it is not abnormal like the drs. and the net says... it is rather normal actually.

It may not be full blown menopause, but from my research, most women have changes after 40.

That being said, I would not wait that long to find out if your thyroid isn't functioning properly... and your blood pressure is high... i'd check that on a regular basis to make sure it isn't that high every day. hopefully it is the dr visit that sends it up, but don't wait. please. I learned the hard way my friend. Me with the thyroid, gaining 30 lbs in 6 months, and having horrendous periods/mood swings/depression. My husband with the borderline blood pressure that they didn't think was an issue.

So. Go. Get things checked out/ruled out and/or taken care of early before they become issues. There are so many meds out there to take care of the issues you are having.

If it's nothing, then you're starting early menopause and will have irregular periods for a long time. Nothing you can't deal with and you'll have peace of mind. Oh, and so will we. ;)