Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow & no heat

Well the meteorologists were right. It snowed. And snowed.



I woke up this morning on the chilly side. Chilly because my heater broke sometimes in the middle of the night. I have had problems with the heater since it was installed. Could have been because the jackass plumber hooked the garden hose up to the gas line to try and find the leak. The professional thing to do would have been to pull out all the gas lines and start over.

Anyway, I call my gas company up about 6:00 A.M. to report that I don't have heat. It was the service of course. She said that she wanted to let me know that there is an $80.00 after hours service fee. Okay. So what was her point. She said, 'would you like to proceed?' Hell yeah. I don't have heat. She took my information. She called back about a half hour later. Here's the conversation.

Me: Hello.
Her: Miss S.
Me: Yes
Her: This is the gas company.
Me: Yes
Her: What's the problem?
Me: What?
Her: You called for service.
Me: Yes I called. You sound like the girl I spoke with.
Her: It was. What's the problem?
Me: I don't have heat
Her: Do you have propane?
Me: Yes. I just got delivery last week.
Her: So what's the problem?
Me: The heater is broke. I don't have heat. I don't know why it's not working.
Her: Okay. When the office manager gets into the office, I'll have him call you.
Me: What time will that be?
Her: He gets in the office about 8:00 AM.
Me: 8:00 AM. It's 6:30 now.
Her: Yes.
Me: Okay.


Well what was I to do, but wait. I got a shower and warmed up a bit. My poor baby was cold so I got out the heating pad, wrapped it in a towel and put it on her favorite spot. Now my baby was happy.


I have a fireplace, but I could not get the pilot to light. So I turned the oven on for a while.


What do I do now? Go out and shovel the walk.



We had about six inches at this point.


What next? Shovel the back deck and take some pictures.





My back railing. If you click to enlarge the picture, you may see a bit of red. Mr. Cardinal was perched in the tree.





Mrs. Cardinal and friend at the feeder.





Paw print in the snow.



The guy finally came. First order of business to blow-out the fireplace. That done the fireplace was on. Because of dust build-up, smoke detectors going off. Me with paper fanning them to turn them off. Guy probably under the house laughing his ass off. Listening to me run from one detector to the other. Talking the whole time.



Guy came in the house with a 'huh'. Not what I wanted to hear. He called the office with information on a part number. While on the phone with the office he says, 'the fireplace is working, so she has heat. Tomorrow?' What? Oh no not tomorrow. Today. After he hangs up he said that they have to find the part. They may not be able to get it until tomorrow. About to cry now.



While he was here my phone rang. The gas company. They cannot get the part until tomorrow. What can I do but wait.



The wind has picked up. It has stopped snowing. The sun even came out. At least for now we're warm.

6 comments:

Deborah Godin said...

Have you ever notice how they're always right with the predictions when the coming weather is crappy?! I hope you are able to survive until the part arrives. Do you have a CO detector?? Be safe, and let us know how it goes!

Kay said...

Aaaack! I'm so sorry! I can truly relate because ever since we had a new heater installed, it's given us nothing but problems. It keeps dying everytime the temperature dips below 0 or some colder than cold temperature. This usually happens in the middle of the night so I wake up when my nose feels cold. Luckily, we just have to press a button to restart the system but it's ANNOYING! Good luck, Lisa! I'm really feeling for you. I confess being in Hawaii right now is easier than being in Chicago.

bobbie said...

Ah yes, but then the sun went in again.

You're welcome here if it gets too chilly.

If you haven't read it yet, Deborah's cat, Pearl, has answered your challenge for 10 honest things. She has done it very well indeed.

Mary said...

Lisa, I sure hope you are warm tonight.

I'm so sorry. I do understand how exasperated you felt without a heater because I've been there. But the way you say it is so darn funny!!!!

We only got 4 inches of snow from the same storm but it was nice.

Mary

Ralph said...

Hope you get the heat back on soon. That happened to us awhile back. But the guy across the street runs a heating and air conditioning business. Our outcome awas a lot better and faster.
Ralph

Gretchen said...

How awful not to have heat! Our furnace went out a few times this winter already. Luckily, hubby was able to fix it. Only once it went out at night when he was at work, so we just had to add more blankets to the bed and wait for him to get home. That was a very long night! Even the cat and dog were snuggled under the blankets!