Saturday, November 29, 2008

Just ramblings

Wednesday I went to Shoprite to get a centerpiece for my friend. I was going to her house for dessert Thanksgiving. Across the way was a gentleman and an older woman looking at the poinsettia's. A girl that works there was walking toward them with another centerpiece. The older woman asked the girl if she bought one poinsettia was is $1.99 like last year. The girl said, 'no. If you only buy one, it will cost $2.99.' Very indignantly the older woman says, 'What? $2.99?' The girl said yes and walked away. Let me just say that the girl was very friendly. The older woman started to stomp away. Slowed and yelled over her shoulder, "I hope they all die." If only the camera could have captured the look on my face and the gentleman's face. It would have been a look of shock. Disbelief. Speechless. The girls walks over to the gentleman and asked if she had something to say. He said yes and told her. She kinda yelled, 'and a Happy Thanksgiving to you too.' She said to us, 'people think we make up the prices. We just tell you what the prices are.' We started talking to her and then joking with her. Very nice girl. I picked the centerpiece I liked and as I was walking away, stopped and wished her a Happy Thanksgiving, thanked her for being so professional and to apologize for the woman's rude behavior. She told me to wait and came back with a beautiful ceramic pumpkin for my centerpiece. She said, 'I only give these to the special customers.' How sweet was this.

Thanksgiving Day was pretty uneventful. I finished the book I was reading. One down a couple hundred to go. My turkey turned out great. Ate like a pig and went to my friends. Her dad has a black lab, Midnight. He is such a sweetie. So is her dad. They were getting Midnight's dinner ready and put his bowl down. He stood and stared at them. When they said 'go for it boy', he wolfed it down. They said he will not eat his food unless you tell him he can. She said that once they forgot and he was standing there looking at them, pleading with them to tell him it was okay to eat. Another friend said she was going on the trolley ride the next night in Cape May to look at the houses that were decorated for Christmas. She said that a couple of years ago she was going to go, but ended up following the trolley. How we razed her about this. My friend was going shopping Friday and asked if I wanted to go. I thanked her, but declined. The reason. They leave and get to the mall at 9:00 AM. Not to bad. They get home around 1:00 AM. Very bad. I can't shop that long. Hell I can't shop at all. I am not a browser. I know what I want. Get it and leave.

I did just that yesterday. Michael's had a 25% coupon off the entire purchase. So I got brushes for ceramics. Bed, Bath and Beyond was handing out 20% off coupons when you entered, I got a new clothes hamper. I went to a couple other stores and then called it a day. All local stores I went to.

I was watching on TV how people were standing waiting for the doors to open at the malls. How it was like a stampede entering the store when the doors opened. The guy who was kill during one of the stampedes. And the people hurt, including a pregnant woman who tried to help the guy. What could you possibly want or need to act like this? Two people who shot one another at a Toys R Us, I believe in California. Just another reason why there should be tighter policies on guns. Maybe it's because I don't like to shop, but I just don't understand the Black Friday frenzy.

So anyway, I'll get off that topic.

So how was everyones Thanksgiving? What are your traditions for Thanksgiving? Inquiring minds want to know.

Well that's enough rambling for now. My house work is done. The last load of laundry is in the dryer and I am debating with myself to put up some Christmas decorations or read. I'm thinking read, but you never know.

Well I don't know who won the debate, but I put up Christmas decorations. Every room got a little something. Even the aquarium. Bart the Betta isn't to happy about it. He'll get over it. If not, it will be fun to watch him spread his beautiful red tail and act all tough. I think now I'll read, before I start another debate with myself.

5 comments:

Marla said...

Wow, that lady was certainly not in the holiday spirit! I am taking a break from decorating right now. I wanted to finish today but that will never happen.

Gretchen said...

Decorating? Geesh! Now I feel like I'm way behind. I haven't even thought about digging the tree out of the attic.

There are more than a few people like that in this world and they always seem to make an appearance around holidays. Think of that poor man who was trampled to death on Black Friday at WalMart. :( People are just insane.

Mary said...

....and everyone would have a friend, life would always win, this is my grown-up Christmas list."

I love that song.

Holidays always bring out the worst and best in people, Lisa. Unfortunately those "worsts" are often the most memorable unforgiveable.

I'd love to start decorating this weekend...but, I'm trying to rest as much as I can to calm the cold. The first weekend in December is my "light up" tradition, anyway.

I'm glad you got festive!

Mary

Kay said...

What a time you've had, Lisa. You were so nice to that salesperson. I can easily see why she gave you that gift. It must really hurt to have people mistreat them like that lady.

I can't seem to get my act together to get holiday decorations up but you're putting me in the mood. I'm so glad you had a great Thanksgiving.

David said...

What class you showed being so nice to the salesperson. I hope the rude person heard your class!
Good for you.