Sunday, November 9, 2008

Weigh in Day, sunshine & politics

Well we are not talking about weigh in today. Oh yes, I weighed myself and I really think the scale is broken. There is no way that someone could gain that much in seven days. I have a scale in work that I will weigh myself on tomorrow.


******************************
The sun is shining in Cape May County today. Oh happy days. We haven't seen the sun shining since Monday. After I am done here, I am spending as much time as possible outside.


*****************************

So this morning while watching the news, they said that gun sales were up before President-Elect Obama was sworn in. They fear that he will not allow them to purchase guns.


We have the right to Bear Arms. I am not against this right. But here is my problem. People are not purchasing normal guns. Not that there is a such thing. But they are purchasing semi-automatics, fully-automatics and assault rifles. Why? One gentleman said, "I must protect my family." If you must have one of these high-powered guns to protect your family, something is wrong. Maybe you take a look at your life.


If when President-Elect Obama is sworn in and he addresses the type of fire power that one can purchase and one cannot purchase, I say good for him. I feel that this should be regulated. There are already too many killings from shootings.


Onto another thing that has been bothering me. Politics in general. We have republicans, democrats, independents, conservatives, etc. All are fighting against each other.


I had made a comment to my boss once that maybe we would be better off not having government. He said we need government. He is right of course. So now here is what I am thinking. I am probably wrong. When it comes to any type of political aspect, I usually am. But here I go anyway.


Politicians are our problem. We hear that the republicans have the majority or the democrats have the majority. Why should it be about that? Why, because it is all about power. Who has it and who doesn't. Well it should not be about power. It should be about working together no matter what your political affiliation. It should be about working for the people and in the best interest of the people. If we don't learn to work together soon, well.


I think people vote for Barack Obama because he gives us hope. Hope for change. Hope that people can work together. Hope for a better America.

10 comments:

bobbie said...

Amen to that.

Kay said...

Absolutely! England and Japan do not allow guns for citizens and that is so much better for everyday citizens and for the police officers who are out there trying to protect us. I suspect that's why there was a segment of our population who wanted Palin since she's the politician who shot animals out of the helicopter.

Kelly said...

Amen and ditto to your post! Well said!!

Mare said...

I don't own a scale. Spare yourself the stress. Life is too short.

Marla said...

I don't think there should be parties, it should just be we the people! I agree with the guns!

Gretchen said...

I see we're on different sides for this issue. It's our right to keep and bear arms. I don't see anywhere in the Constitution that says only .22 rifles or bb guns. What is wrong with owning whatever type of gun a person feels comfortable with?

It's not the ones who legally purchase guns that are the problem. My children were raised with guns and know how to handle them. They know never to touch them without permission. People with illegal arms are the problem. Taking away my rights won't make that stop. You'll never make Johnny gang banger give up his guns. Telling me I can't have whatever type of gun I want will only make it easier for him.

Check out the statistics. Places with very relaxed gun laws have LOWER crime rates than places like Washington DC or NYC. Citizens aren't allowed to defend themselves there. Has disarming them helped? I don't think so. Are they a utopia free of violence? Ah, NOPE! That alone blows your reasoning that disarming everyone will make gun or any violence go away. It's not possible.

For the England and Japan comparison. Now, the UK has taken away the right to carry a knife. What's next? It's so easy to say you want to be a subject and be ruled. NOT ME! I'm a citizen and that means I can defend myself. The police are not required to defend you or your family. It's been ruled in court. Think about that next time you want to take away my rights. Those who willingly give up freedom for a little security will receive neither.

bobbie said...

I don't think anyone is talking about taking away your right to bear arms, Gretchen. But no citizen has a need for some of these high tech, terribly destructive weapons. Those are manufactured for only one reason, and it isn't for the average citizen to defend home and family.

It's true that criminals will always be able to get the guns they want. That's an entirely separate issue.

Cliff said...

Lisa, just read your 'working with the public'
I must say you'd probably like me when I came in.
Our county treasurer had a sign hanging on the wall in her office. The public could see it if you were standing at the counter.
"Some people are alive simply because it's against the law to kill them."
Seems true. Eh?

Ralph said...

I too am spending as much time outside as possible - unfortunately it isn't all that much.
I don't think politicians are our problem. I do think politicians who have forgotten their role, their chief responsibility, is to represent and speak for the people are the problem. And there are a lot of them that forget that.
Ralph

MmeBenaut said...

Very well said Lisa! Sorry about the scales!!