Sunday, February 15, 2009

Deck

The picture below is the partially completed deck. The deck boards were on and we were able to walk on it. Again the pic makes the deck bigger than what it really is.


To the right, you can see a portion of the window.








The completed deck.

One of the windows.

Partially window and my deck.

Window.
I keep calling them windows. They really aren't windows per say. Meaning they are not made of glass. They are made of heavy duty plastic. This type window is used a lot in Florida.
My main reason for the windows was to keep the weather off my covered deck. Keeping me and the kittens dry when it rains. Well mainly the kittens. What we wouldn't do for our furry friends.
When my contractors had the windows in, they said that I would want doors to make the room bug proof. I didn't think I would. But when I was out there that night, the thought crossed my mind more than once. We'll see how the summer goes. I may, (probably will), be calling them back to install the doors.
I have to say that I enjoyed coming home from work and them being here. I enjoyed the company. I would help them clean up and load their van and then we would sit and talk for awhile.
My contractor's are the same that did my addition, so they understand my quirkiness. They just shake their head and smile. They are also animals lovers so they understood my reason for the windows. Even if it was a portion of the deck.
They would ask questions about work, that I would answer very carefully. They sensed that something wasn't right there. They wouldn't push, but still asked some questions. I finally came out and told them what was going on. There was some surprise, but for the most part, they knew something wasn't right. Contractor's talk with one another. They knew something was going on, but they just didn't know the whole story.
I told them that I was debating with myself whether to tell them that they would be given a hard time with the permit. Also whether to but them in a position that if someone came over, to not let them in my home. As it turned out, I didn't have to worry about the latter. The permit was a different story. They were asked lots of questions. Questions that they should have been asking me. Actually the contractor said they were going to ask me. They never did. I guess the office was also but in a position of wanting to give me a hard time, but not being able to give that much of a hard time to my contractors. My contractors are good. They have gotten many a permit for jobs larger then my little deck. Asking too many questions would have raise red flags.
Well anyway, my deck is done. The only thing I have to do now is seal it. They say that one is supposed to wait a year before sealing it. We'll see how long I can hold out.

6 comments:

Mare said...

You're gonna love that deck, and I'll bet you'll want to do something to keep bugs out...how 'bout rolldown/up screening?
Anyway, hope things improve at work. Good luck to you.

bobbie said...

The deck looks great. I'll have to get over to sit on it a while. I agree that you will want the doors to keep out the bugs.
It was probably killing you-know-who not to be able to ask more questions than they did, or to make trouble afterwards, but your contractors are good, and I'm sure they couldn't find anything wrong.

Marla said...

Your deck looks so nice! I bet you can't wait for warmer weather.

Kay said...

I love it! They did a wonderful job for you.

Gretchen said...

It's gorgeous! We have been talking about building one like that. I'll have to show it to hubby and tell him that's what I want! :)

Dianne said...

I can picture all the evenings out there - and the early mornings with a cup of coffee

it's so lovely

I'm very happy for you!!