Sunday, February 22, 2009

Oscar Party


My friend is hosting an Oscar Party tonight. She has held a couple over the years. Let me tell you she goes all out.
The year before last was my first. When I walked in her door, I couldn't help but laugh. Awaiting us was a red carpet of sorts. It actually was a red table cloth, but effective none the less. Mini Oscar's decorated the table and well as other Oscar related decorations.
Every guest is asked to bring a gift no more than $5.00. She makes up ballots for all the categories and we circle who we think will win. She also asked movie related questions throughout the night. If one or more is lucky enough to choose the winner, our names are put in a hat and the winner gets to choose a gift from the gift table. Also decorated with Oscar related decor.
We do make fun of how all out she goes, but she says this is her super bowl party. She loves going to the movies. I rarely go to the movies, however I did make out pretty good the year before. She would talk about the movies she went to see, so my choices were based on that. She was very low keyed this year. Not really talking about the movie in depth.
She is going all out this year. Inviting more people. We will bring something to eat. So it will probably be a Hodge-podge meal. My kind of meal. Being able to pick at food all night. My choice, not very Oscar like, is Buffalo Chicken Dip. Here's the recipe if anyone is interested.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
3 - 10oz cans Hormel chicken - drained
2 - 8oz packages of cream cheese
1 cup ranch dressing
1 5oz bottle of Franks red hot sauce
1 bag of mixed shredded cheese
Add chicken to pan and break up. Saute chicken with hot sauce.
Add cream cheese, stirring until melted.
Then add ranch dressing and 1/2 bag of cheese and stir.
When the cheese is melted, pour into baking dish and add the other half bag of cheese on top.
Bake for 35-40 minutes in a 350 degree oven until brown on top.
Serve with scoops or crackers.
That all for now. I must go to the store for my gift.
Have a good day.

8 comments:

David said...

The theme of the party sounds like a hoot!
Enjoy, and we await your review of the night and the show.

David

bobbie said...

I'll be interested in the review myself. Not into Oscars though.

I adore the picture on your sidebar - cat on book.

Kay said...

We're having an Oscar party here but only for my mom and Art. We're just going to watch the Oscars together and have fun.

Marla said...

I hope you have a good time tonight at the Oscars! I used to enjoy the Oscar's! I don't go t any movies so I never know what they are talking about now days.

Mary said...

Sounds like a wonderful time, Lisa! Anything for a party. The Oscars? I could live without all that crap but some people love it.

Mary

Cliff said...

I swore off movies and oscars when the actors got political.
I'm happy to report I don't know the name of any of these clowns.
I am however glad you had a good time.

Dianne said...

so how did the party go? I love the Oscars, can't help myself - would love to know what your favorite moments were

MmeBenaut said...

Oh Lisa, I'm sure you had a wonderful time! I missed most of the Oscars but I did see Kate Winslet's acceptance speech which I found very moving.
What did you think of Hugh Jackman? I'm sorry that I missed his routine because I just adore him; he's a real Aussie bloke and a very talented one too, I think.