Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Beaver Dam

Well today I was going to Leaming's Run, but again it was cloudy. They were calling for cloudy skies. Not wanting to go to Leaming's Run on a cloudy day, I called Bobbie and asked her if she wanted to go to Beaver Dam. She did. We got the car loaded and off we went. As we were going up Bayshore Road, I glanced over at a park and saw baby geese. We turned around and got a couple of pictures.


There were six babies. Their parents were very protective of them. When I would try for a picture, one the parents would get in front of them. As you can see, I managed anyway.
We were off again. I took Bobbie down High's Point Road, where the beach was blocked off by rope and signs. Bobbie got a couple of pictures of this. There was also someone sitting off the end of the dock. I thought it a woman, Bobbie knew it was a man. She was right. We can only guess that he was there protecting the birds and making sure no one cross the rope.



Off again. I took Bobbie down my favorite road. This is my favorite because the houses are spaced far apart and there are two horse farms.

Beaver Dam Road is paved, but then turns into a dirt road. Going fairly slowly because of pot holes, I stopped the car. Here was this turtle in the road. Bobbie got out and the photo shoot started.


The poor little thing just wanted to be left alone, and here we were taking pictures at every angle. I did pick him/her up and we got a couple more shots. My arm wasn't long enough to get a clear picture.

Here is the pretty yellow underside.


We place the turtle to the side of the road so not to get hit. Onward we went again. I said to Barb that I felt like the Crocodile Hunter. You know, as he is riding down the road, he quick stops to save the animals that have wandered into the road. Good thing it wasn't a snake. I wouldn't have stopped for a snake. Anyway, we went a little further and what do we see? Yes another turtle.
Doesn't she have a cute little tail.


This one wasn't crazy about having her picture taken, but we managed. I didn't realize how quickly turtles could move.
As we parked the car, we saw another turtle hurrying across the path.
Beaver Dam is still a beautiful as I remember. I haven't been for awhile to check on the Eagles because of the weather or migraines.

Today the place was alive with lots of birds. I believe these guys are ibis.
There were other birds flying around that reminded me of Jurassic Park. Bobbie said that they were black ibis. Funky looking birds in flight. There were a lot of red-winged blackbirds, sea gulls and I even saw a hummer. There was a lot of honeysuckle around, so I guess this is what the hummer's were feeding on.

We saw a sundog. Actually there were two. I think Bobbie got a picture of both of them together.


This is a very bad picture, but I think a juvenile eagle is perched on what looks like a sign to the left of the tree.

Another bad picture, but in the distance perched on the dead tree branch is an Eagle.

Time to go and while drive down the road, what did we come upon? Yup, another turtle. I pulled up along side and said it looks like it is digging a nest. I got out and told Bobbie is was the strangest thing, but she is digging a hole and it has water in it. She got out and took some pictures herself.


We both couldn't believe she would build a nest there. If you look to her left, you can see tire marks. Well we knew that we couldn't do anything for this one.
Today was a nice day. It ended up sunny and cool. Hopefully tomorrow will be just a beautiful so I can go to Leaming's Run.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

I LOVE turtles. I used to spend weekends out on the North Fork of Long Island and everyone laughed at how long it took me to get around - I was constantly stopping to move turtles out of the road.

Your photos are wonderful!

Sounds like you both had a great day.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Oh, This is a great post!! I enjoyed reading about your day with Bobbie. You saw a lot today. I love all the turtles. I helped a turtle across the road recently, but it looked a lot different from yours. Yours are prettier. Mine looked all bumpy and prehistoric. :) I can't believe the turtle digging there to lay its eggs. Nice that you were there to see it.

bobbie said...

It really was a nice day. Thanks for doing the driving. I can't get over those turtles. I sent pictures of them to Isaac. And of the sundogs too.