Sunday, May 4, 2008

Swallows and a pretty backyard

For several years now at my work, we have had swallows nesting. The first year we had one pair. What fun they were to watch build their mud nest, fly and raise two little ones. The next year who had two pairs. They proceeded to build a nest. (Their nest is pictured below.) I was is awe how these little birds built a mud nest on a vertical wall. In the couple of years that followed, we had two pairs out front and two in the back. I look forward every year now for them to come back.
And their back. This is pair number one.


This is pair number two.
The other morning I was out back watching them. I could stand there and watch them fly all day. They have such speed and grace. They haven't started adding to their nest like the usually do, but they probably will soon. In the past we have had at least three to four babies in each nest. I am looking forward to getting pictures of the babies this year.









Yesterday Bobbie called and asked if I wanted any strawberry plants. Her son Joe had more than enough plants and was looking to give some away. I said yes and a little while later we went to his house. I fell in love with his backyard. Here are some pictures of Joe's backyard.


I told Joe that he may find me one day in his backyard with a book. More like my camera. His yard is very beautiful and peaceful.

Bobbie had taken some pictures of me digging up some strawberry plants and e-mailed them to me yesterday. When speaking with her this morning we were talking about them. I said nice pictures with my big old ass sticking out. She said "you could crop out what you don't like. That's what I do." I said if I cropped out what I didn't like, there would be nothing left of the picture. But anyway, I decided to take her advise and crop out what I didn't like about the picture.

Aren't they beautiful strawberry plants?

4 comments:

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

I love the little swallows! It must be fun to watch them.

I think you could have left a bit more of yourself in the pictures. ;-) Nice strawberries.

bobbie said...

Wow! When you crop, you REALLY crop!

I hope the swallows start building soon.

Dianne said...

I love the swallows, the nest seems suspended in mid-air!

I wish you were in the photos. The plants are lovely but I'm betting you're lovelier.

and wow to Joe's yard! now that's a yard :)

MmeBenaut said...

Swallows are so swift and aerobatic aren't they. I love them and you are lucky to have them nesting. Joe's strawberries are amazing and you should get a wonderful crop from them. His backyard is indeed beautiful.
Happy Mother's Day!