Monday, May 26, 2008

This morning I woke up to the sounds of three mewing kittens all wanting to be fed. Oh what joy. It was 5:15 AM. Anyone who has cats knows you don't adopt them. They adopt you. We are their servants and they tell us what goes. Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. I get much joy and entertainment from each one. Like this evening. I was sitting out back reading. Ralph was on the lookout. He feels he must protect me from the wild birds. I see him crouch, tail flinging and then him take off running. I got up and went to the back of the deck to see what he was up to. He quick ran under a bush, catbird hot on his tail. The catbird flew onto the dogwood tree right above the bush, trying to get to him. He just lay there peering under the leaves up at the bird. He didn't move. He must have been swooped by one before. As I type this, he is still laying there.

Well anyway back to this morning. Up I got, fed the lovelies, got the paper and coffee. Checked e-mail and read paper. Watch a TV show that I hadn't seen in years. Got a shower and decided I wanted to go out before the tourists were up and about. I went to the ATM for a loan to buy gas. Went to the gas station and asked the guy to fill it up cash, regular. The guy looked at me funny and the lady in the car over started to giggle. The guy said, "If I could fill up with cash, I would be first in line." What? Then I realized what I said. I started to laugh. What can I say. I was up since 5:15 AM.

I went to Cape May Point. First I went around the Lily Lake.

I seen this sign and quite honestly, it breaks my heart. Many of times we would go the Lily Lake with bread and feed the ducks. Back then there were hundreds of ducks. I do understand why they don't want people feeding the ducks, but for a little girl or boy, it is neat to have ducks eating out of your hand.

I finally came across these Canadian Geese.


A male and female Mallard duck. They didn't like me getting to close to them and the flew into the lake. There were also some flowering lily pads.
After I left there, I went onto the Point. I was surprised that there weren't more cars in the lot, but it was still early.

I like this shot. A nice tribute to the many men and women who have served and died for this country.


I think, but I am not to sure, that this is an American Goldfinch. It had turned away as I was taking the shot.


Path to the bird blind.


I just thought that this was cool looking.


That white dot is an Egret.


One of my favorite birds. The Robin. They remind me of little soldiers birds. They run as fast and the can with head down and then stand at attention.

Lone Swan.

Lone Swan looking for his mate.

Ah. They found each other.

It is hard to see, but in the front of the picture is a female Mallard duck. To the back of the picture is a Swan. (If you click on the picture, it will super size that you will be able to see the mallard.)There was a couple walking along and I asked them if that was the swan's nest. They said that it was, but it was last in the season for them to have another broad. They asked if I seen the ducklings? I said I didn't, but I did see the male and female mallard. They said that they were here yesterday and there are seven ducklings. A day late and dollar short. What can I say.
There are many paths to take at the Point. Each offer a wonderful view.





Here is a couple of people flying kites as a group of Canadian Geese flew over head.

The family flying kites.

There is a blue kite to the lower left of the lighthouse and another kite to the upper right of the lighthouse.

If you look real close, you can see five people at the top of the lighthouse. Hearty brave souls.
There are also many opportunities to take pictures of the lighthouse.




This was about the extent of my day. It was a beautiful sunny day and I had my American flag flying proudly. I would like to take this opportunity to say a heart felt thank you to all the men and women who have served or who are currently serving the United States of America. I would also like to say that my thoughts are with the families of these brave men and women. Thank you.

4 comments:

bobbie said...

Really nice post, Lisa. I love the cool looking water too. Wonderful shots of the lighthouse.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

What a wonderful day you had. I loved how you described your morning with the kitties (you're so right - they adopt us!) and filling the car with cash. You don't know how much that sounds like me. ;-) Cape May looks like a spectacular place. We talk about going there for the migration sometimes. One of these days, we might actually do it! It seems that life just keeps getting in the way. I loved all of your pictures and how you described the day. I think the yellow bird is indeed a male American Goldfinch.

Dianne said...

what a great post!

great photos, great commentary and heartfelt thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about Cape May Point to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Jane