Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Willy Wonka door, kitten and the birds

Around the corner from my friend's house is a house about four of five years old. Every time I drive by I have to laugh. The front door always reminds me of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It's the scene right before they enter the factory. There is a big long hallway that gets smaller and smaller to this tiny door. Well this is what this house reminds me of. I finally got a picture of the front of the house. What do you think? Does it remind you of Willy Wonka?



The other morning before I left for work, I looked out the back window and I saw Tiger in the tree right above the bird feeder. She looked so cute in the tree that I had to take he picture.


Bobbie has had humming birds for quite a while now. She would send me pictures of her hummers. I was kidding her that it didn't look like a hummer. It looked like a sparrow with a long bill. Well I finally have hummers visiting me. The one that I see the most is a tiny male. Here he is posing for me.


Here he is getting a well deserved feed.


I find these little birds fascinating. They only weigh a couple of ounces and they have more spunk then larger birds.
We had a nor'easter earlier in the week with some pretty strong wind gust. Some gusts were over 50 MPH. These tiny little birds still visited the feeder. Amazing.

Tuesday or Wednesday morning at work, I was out back having a cigarette. I was pacing back and forth. I had looked over at the school and I noticed something on their antenna. It took some time for me to realize that it was a bird. I went inside and got my camera. Here is a picture of him perched on the antenna. He was there most of the morning.


The next morning he was there again. The smaller birds kept swooping him. He was oblivious to this. I had zoomed in close to get another picture when he decided to fly toward me. I couldn't zoom out fast enough to get a picture, but I realized it was a Cooper's Hawk. He has taken up residence on this antenna.

Friday was a dreary wet morning. When I looked he wasn't on the antenna. I looked around and found him on the light post.
Here are closer pictures of him
(I hope the pictures enlarge so you can really see his markings.)





Today Bobbie and I were on the phone and went out to get the mail. I was on my front deck and looked up. I couldn't believe it, there was a Bald Eagle flying over head. This is the first time I have seen a Bald Eagle in the Villas and me without my camera. We have a - I don't really know what you would call it now. It was a golf course called Ponderlodge for many years. The owner didn't think that he had to pay any taxes and the State took it over. It has not been maintained since they have. It is now called Villas Wildlife Preserve. I had heard that there was a Eagles nest there, but to the best of my knowledge no one knows where it is. Well let me change that. I think the people at the bird observatory know, but don't want to tell anyone for fear that people will try and get to the nest and do some harm. I can't blame them.
Well all in all, today was a very good day. It was finally sunny. I saw a Bald Eagle and I got some gardening done. Can't beat that.

9 comments:

Cliff said...

Nope, not familiar with the chocolate factory. Or at least I don't recall sleeping thru it.
I know those little birds are always dive bombing the hawks but I have no idea what they are trying to do.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

I love this post!Great Willy Wonka door, inviting you to come in. I wonder if you rang the bell if they would invite you in for some chocolate? ;-) I love the kitty tail dangling from the tree. Too cute! Lucky you to have hummers! I've only had one visit me once ever. Good spotting of the hawk, and wow! An eagle! I would love to see one around here.

Kay said...

I've seen a hummingbird only once in Illinois. I've seen the Coopers Hawk quite a few times. The eagle, never. Wow! You have a lot of interesting birds. Great photos.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Anonymous said...

good day fellas. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been looking allowing for regarding that particular brand. The prices for the velcros were around 170 bucks everwhere. But definitively I set this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I really like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good morning people. I'm honestly into shoes and I was digging as far as something that meticulous make. The prices as regards the sneakers were around 300 pounds on every site. But definitively I base this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy those. what is your opinion?