Saturday, May 3, 2008

Siren's please

Last night I didn't feel like cooking, so I ordered a pizza. On the way home, an on coming car moved to the shoulder of the road. I didn't think anything about it, then a second car moved over to the shoulder. I looked in my rear view mirror and here a couple cars behind me was a police car with his lights on. Me and the cars behind me moved over to the shoulder. The police car finally put his siren on, briefly, and the rest of the cars in front of me moved over. We neared the intersection, where we had the red light. The cars in the opposite direction started to proceed, they had know idea that there was a police car coming. After almost getting into an accident, the police car finally put his siren back on, briefly. Aren't police, fire and ambulance vehicles supposed to have lights and sirens on when responding to a call?



This is a pet peeve of mine because I was almost hit by a police car once in this same situation at the same intersection. It was night time and I was waiting for the light to turn green. When it did, I started to make my turn. Out of the corner of my eye, I seen something flash. When I looked there he was. I nearly shit myself and quick hit the brakes. The cop proceeded on his way with flashing lights, but no sirens.



This is dangerous. Very dangerous. So please, be alert while driving. Check your rear view mirror often. And even though you have the green light, look both ways before you go.

3 comments:

Cliff said...

Well Lisa, maybe it was just 'kind of' an emergency. Like the donuts were finally ready at the coffee shop.
Just kidding. I don't know the protocol for sirens but I suppose there might be a reason.

Rachel said...

I gotta agree. It sure makes it easier when you can hear and see them! I saw a cop make a U-turn the other day to go after a guy and he never turned his lights on or anything. I thought maybe since it was just a quick reaction that he had to the guy running the red light and he didn't think to do it in his haste...but....

bobbie said...

I'm with you. Definitely should be sirens.

Another peeve of mine is that the police often stop in the driving lane even when there is plenty of room near the curb. They do this at times in the wrong lane. Really bad at night when their lights are on, blinding anyone coming toward them.