Sunday, July 27, 2008

Hello! My name is Lisa and I am addicted to....


books. And this is just in my closet. There are also books on my end table next to my sofa. And let's not forget the cookbooks in the hutch. I can't help myself when it comes to books. Today I went to Wal-mart for dry food for the kittens. As I was walking to check-out, I could hear the book aisle calling me name. I resisted at first, but the pull was just to strong. I ended up buying two books. Janet Evanovich's "Fearless Fourteen". If you haven't read any of her books yet, I recommend you do. They are fast reading and will make you laugh. The second, Linda Howard's "Death Angel". Also a good read. Walking to check-out, I am arguing with myself. "You have a closet full of books to read. You don't need anymore books, let alone two more. Oh be quiet. These are two of my favorite authors." I don't know who won, but I added two books to my collection. After leaving Wal-mart, I went to Shoprite. I picked up fixings for salad and chicken. When heading to check-out, what aisle did I pick? The freaking book aisle. I stopped. Scanned and saw another author I enjoy. I picked up the book and started arguing with myself again. I was getting ready to put the book back when a shopper said, "I just finished that book. It was very good." We talked books for a while and guess what? I walked out with another book. This one by Iris Johansen, "Silent Thunder". She is a good writer. Sometimes off the wall, but her books are still good. So I ask you, what is up we me and freaking books. I live right around the corner from the library where I can check books out for free. But NO, I spend a small fortune on books. And it is not like I have the time to read all these books. I am a slow reader, so by the time I finish one book, I have added several to the collection. I think I may check the phonebook for "Book Readers Anonymous" or "Book Buyers Anonymous". Or hey, maybe I'll call Bobbie and have her talk me down. Like she would really want to be bothered with this, right? I bug her for too many things. No, I think I will just try and have willpower next time. Or look the other way. Or avoid the book aisle. Or ignore the little voice in my head. Or????



Okay so now that you know about my book addiction, let's talk about another freaky addiction of mine. SHARKS. Especially the Great White Shark, my favorite. I have been wanted to blog about this, but have been putting it off. Why now? Well tonight starts Shark Week on Discovery Channel. I am fascinated by sharks. I don't believe they are the mindless killing machines that most people make them out to be. Yes they have many rows of razor sharp teeth that can rip apart flesh in an instant. But in most cases an attack is mistaken identity. Yes I know what you are thinking, but think of this. The ocean is their home. What would you do if someone entered your home uninvited? You would attack to save yourself and your family. Not to much difference. Okay here I am defending sharks and that is not what I wanted to do here.

Everyone has a bucket list. What do we want to do before we die? Well here is one thing on my bucket list - I want to go to Africa. The home of the jumping and largest Great White Sharks. I want to see and take pictures of this phenomenal two ton fish jumping out of the water. And after that, I want to be in a cage with a Great White or two swimming around.

Okay, I have given you a little insight to the private world of me. I am a strange person with some off the wall passions and addictions.

Think about what is on your bucket list and let us know.



Today was weigh in day. Same as last week. No weight lost. No weight gained. Still holding at total weight loss of 18 pounds.

9 comments:

dianasfaria.com said...

Hi Lisa,
I saw your comment at Mme B's blog & I'm so glad I checked you out because you made me laugh about the books & the sharks. You are so funny!
I suggest you put the little envelope at the bottom where people can forward your posts. I would have loved to fwd. this to someone close to me whose name is Lisa who also happens to be addicted to posts. It's just a suggestion...
: )

dianasfaria.com said...

Oops!...I wrote posts, but I meant books!

bobbie said...

Nothing wrong with a book addiction. For that matter, nothing wrong with sharks either. They are beautiful animals, and you're right when you say people are wrong to think they attack mindlessly. They're just doing what comes naturally when people invade their territory.

This was a fun post.

Dianne said...

more that we have in common!

books call out to me everywhere. I went to Drug Fair for shampoo last night, came back with 2 books ;)

you might want to put a weight bracket in the middle of that shelf - my shelf collapsed without one

MmeBenaut said...

Fortunately most of our supermarkets only sell magazines and DVDs, not books otherwise I would be just as bad as you Lisa. Have you read any of Nora Roberts books? She's an American writer I've discovered recently - easy to read yet very good plots.

We have plenty of Great Southern White Sharks down here. They attack surfers on boards on a regular basis but spit them out again. Most times the surfers survive but there are usually a few deaths each year from shark attack. The Sydney and some Queensland beaches have shark nets to protect swimmers and all popular beaches have a surf rescue patrol. I think I'd try feeding the little sharks first before you go into a cage with the big ones. Still, this is a fascinating interest of yours. I have to say that fish - any fish - leave me a bit cold. I don't mind eating them though!

Would be interested in hearing about some of your other "off the wall" passions and addictions, Lisa.

Kay said...

I saw "Addiction" on your blog title of my favorite bloggers and I just had to check out what it was. Books, hunh? Well, when we had to have our "estate" sale before we moved to Hawaii from Illinois, I actually had to have a room designated just for books. We love going to book sales and amassed a small library. My husband is into science fiction. I go for historical fiction, romances, animal stories, science fiction, mysteries, etc. My son had a whole gamut of political science, etc. Anyway, you get the picture. Now that we're in Hawaii I'm wondering where the next book sale will be. I now have room for more books. :-)

Sharks? Hmmm... A woman just got bit at Makaha beach yesterday I believe, by a Tiger shark. They're interesting but I don't think I want to go anywhere near one. You're very brave.

Lisa said...

I'm with you on the books. I've tried to stop, but it always resurfaces... and when it does, I'm right back to buying too many all at once.

Now about the sharks... hmmm... not so much addicted to sharks. They get a bad rap for sure, but I can't think about sharks and go in the ocean. I'm one of those people. lol

Rachel said...

First of all, congratulations on 18 lbs. loss! That is wonderful!

I love books too, and always thought working in a library would be a wonderful place to work. Just getting to be around all those wonderful books daily! I had many books before but have had to cut back due to space. We have no room for collecting much of anything around here, so I have had to have a serious talk with myself. Now I usually read and pass my books on, or try to get books from the library. I do have a small collection of books left.

You are brave to want to be in the cage with sharks swimming around. That would be fun actually, but might get a little scary if they decide to attack the cage! I do hope you get your wish of going to Africa to see the big ones!

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I, too, love to read. Now that I'm not always reading the books the students are (so I know what they are reading), I get to read the books I like. My library system is wonderful and it saves me a fortune. I can place holds online and it will send a notice when they are there for me. I can check for new releases, place holds before they actually have the books (and they get them quickly), and get reminders a few days before books are due.

Janet Evanovich is my favorite to listen to when I drive. Her stories are full of action and fun. People who pass me probably wonder why I'm smiling.