Sunday, July 20, 2008

This is a one of the last pictures of one of the swallows nest. They are so big, they can hardly fit in the nest. Even though you can only see four, there were actually five in this nest. By the end of the week, they were out of the nest and testing their wings. Another pair built up another nest, so I am curious if we have even more babies this season.

I have been going to Cape May Point just about every night for a walk. Every night has been cool except for one night. It was hot-humid with no sea breeze and the gnats were horrible.

One time I was standing at the ocean's edge watching the angry surf and scanning for dolphins when I looked over and seen this little bird.

(It is hard to see, but it is a Least Tern, I think.)

One day I took a different route. The beach is not as nice. Very course sand and a lot of shells and rocks. There were a lot of seagulls just resting on the beach with an occasionally seagull flying. There was a tiny big chasing one seagull. Curious, I watched where the little bird went after chasing the gull. I then noticed an area that was roped off and I went to check it out. I got dive bombed by little birds. I called Bobbie and told her I was under attack by piping plovers. Well I was wrong. I was under attack by Least Terns. Let me tell you that these are funny birds. They swoop in real close to you and even try to shit on you (that part is not so funny). While on the phone with Bobbie, a lady came over the dune, I think unaware of these birds. One swooped in on her she ducked and started walking fast. It was funny to watch. Just waiting for the perfect opportunity to attack. They use the sun to their advantage. They also wait until you have your back to them and come at you that way.

This is what they are protecting.

(There is a little one on the lower right side of the picture.)

Here is another little one. I was able to get these pictures before they went further into the roped off area.
On another walk these two birds were flying over the beach squawking. After they landed, I was able to sneak up on them to get their picture.
Black Skimmer

A pair of Black Skimmers.
These little ones are piping plovers.


I'm not sure what these two are. I think they maybe Least Sandpiper's but I'm not sure.


More piping plovers.

On my way home last night, I went to Higbee's Beach. This was the sunset. My dad always told me that with a sun that red, it would be hot the next day. He was right. It is very hot and humid today.



When I went out for a smoke this afternoon, Ralphy boy gave me a pathetic meow. He came in to cool off. He was being quiet. To quiet. So I went looking for him. I'd say he was chillin. I have also given him yet another nickname - Fat Boy.

There is a barn owl webcam if anyone is interested. I believe there are four or five owls in the nest. I must say they are so ugly, they're cute.

I haven't lost any weight this week, but I haven't gained either. So the weight loss still stands at 18 pounds.

7 comments:

Anil P said...

It's fun watching young ones grow. It must've been a busy time with their mum feeding them. Nice post.

Anonymous said...

It has been a crazy weekend. But I am back. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
You don't know me, but my name is Avalon and I also live in the Villas. Last Wednesday, my beautiful Siamese cat Pushkin got out (he's an inside cat) and I was wondering if you'd seen him, since you're in my neighborhood.. Please keep an eye out for me, as a fellow cat lover, you must understand how heartbreaking it is for my best kitty friend to be gone... I'm afraid someone stole him. Do you think that's possible? If you spot him at all, my e-mail is hyperxballad@hotmail.com -from there I will send you my cell phone number. He is a Siamese with big blue eyes and long fur, very friendly.. Thank you for reading..please help if you can!

-Avalon Batory

MmeBenaut said...

Ooh Lisa, I love the photo of Ralphy Boy or Fat Boy; he's gorgeous! More photos of the cats, pleeaase!

I can't believe how those fat little sparrows can fit in their nest - how wonderful to watch them grow - they must be very close to fledging now.

Your seabirds are lovely - so different to the birds we have in the hills. I guess that these are migratory birds that fly away for the winter?

I've lost 9 lbs - not nearly enough unfortunately and it's only one month to the wedding. I wish I could do all the walking that you manage to do Lisa but we have lots of up hill and down dale here, not flat sandy beaches!

Cliff said...

Great photo's of the beach. I'm jealous.

bobbie said...

18 pounds is reason enough to celebrate! (Don't eat too many chocolate chip cookies)

Wish I could join you for those walks amidst the piping plovers.

Kay said...

I loved seeing the swallows grow up. Seeing them in their nest, I remember a porcelain figure I had and wondered what that bird was. I can see it must have been a swallow.

Thanks for taking us on a lovely walk on the beach.