Monday, October 20, 2008

Update on the blood sucking parasites

In my previous post I talked about my baby having fleas (those blood sucking parasites) and the attack by me was on. So before I put the flea medicine on her, I ran a fine tooth comb through her. I was almost in tears. The amount of fleas I was getting off her was heartbreaking. I was talking to her, telling her how sorry I was that I let this get this bad. That I was a bad mama. That I was going to get these blood suckers no matter what. She in return was comforting me. Talking and purring the whole time. The last time my baby was weighed, she was seven pounds. She is old, frail and a light weight. To think these things were on her sucking the life out of her.



I put a couple of drops of the flea medicine on her and waited a little bit. I started combing her again and tried to work the medicine through her fur. Oh, I got more fleas. Again the guilt. Again the comforting. She is such a good baby.



Before bed I combed her again. By now her poor skin must be raw, but I think the combing feels good. She feels good. I got some more fleas, but the numbers were reducing. What did come off of her sluggish. I think the medicine is working.



This morning I found a couple of them where she was laying, but they were half dead. I ran the comb through her and only got one. At lunch, I ran the comb through again and didn't get any. After work again with the comb. I got nothing.



I am hoping that with all the vacuuming, the medicine and combing, we will be blood sucking parasite free in no time.

8 comments:

bobbie said...

Yea! I know she's grateful to you too.

Kay said...

You ARE a good mama. It must feel so good to get rid of those fleas. Yuck!

Cliff said...

Hope you don't end up with them. :)
My wife has washed dogs that were so bad the rinse water was dark reddish brown from the dried blood.
I need to hit the hay but wanted to give you heeby jeebies before I left. Nite.

Dianne said...

Hugs to Baby and to YOU

Fleas happen sweetie - don't be so hard on yourself.

MmeBenaut said...

Good for you Lisa - she'll be flea free for a while now and she knows that you love her.

Marla said...

Last year our dogs had fleas terrible and we had a terrible time getting rid of them. They even starting biting me. I had to spray, vaccum furniture, and after a long battle I conquered the darn things. This year no fleas!

Gretchen said...

There is nothing worse than those horrid things. I remember them trying to eat my cats alive. Is there a reason they were created to begin with? I think it was pure cruelty to release such a vicious species on the world!

Reader Wil said...

My cats also had fleas and the old cat had so many that we didn't know how to get rid of them. He was such a lovely animal.