Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ughhhh! The weather

Wouldn't you know it. I'm on vacation this week and what did I wake up to this morning? A Nor'easter. Anyone that knows anything about nor'easter's know it's at least a three day event. So we have high winds and wind driven rain. We will probably have winds for the next three days, but I hope not rain.


So what does a girl like me do on a day like this? Well one thing I could do is curl up on the couch and read a book with a nice hot cup of tea. But not today. Today I decided to make a pot of (my version of) hearty pasta figioli soup.



Umm. Here's my recipe. Saute onions, garlic, carrots and celery in olive oil. When tender add tomato sauce and water. To this I added a chicken bouillon cube, parsley flakes, Italian seasoning, fresh ground pepper and crushed red pepper flakes, (I like a little kick). Then diced potatoes and lima beans and simmer. When this is almost done, boil pasta (your choice) and add to soup. Enjoy with bread or crackers. (I do not no measurements. I just add to taste.)


I didn't stop there. Next was pumpkin cake. The best thing about this cake. The recipe makes not one,




but two cakes.



This is a great cake for this time of year. This would be nice served with some whipped cream with cinnamon, nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice sprinkled on top. Oh how about a-la-mode. Endless possibilities. Or you can eat it like me. One big slice with a tall glass of ice cold milk.


If you would like the recipe, you can find it here. This cake can also be frozen. I generally freeze the cake in halves and thaw in the refrig. I actually enjoy the cake better this way.


So most of the morning was well spent in the kitchen.


******************************


Tonight our library is offering a, oh I don't know what you call it, but the name is "Spirits from beyond the grave". Sounds spooky doesn't it. When I was at the library for one of the classes I took, I wanted to sign up for this, but they told me it is a show up - first come first serve thing. They told me to get there early because last year, they were turning people away. I don't mean to be mean, but I hope the weather is still bad tonight and people don't feel like going out. This is my type of thing. The only thing that would be better is if it were in a spooky house.


***************************************


When I was finding the recipe for the pumpkin cake to share with you, I noticed that I am coming up on my one year blogging anniversary. My very first post was November 4, 2007. It doesn't seem like it has been one year. Still haven't found my niche yet and I probably won't, but that's me.

Well must go now. Time for soup and dessert. :o)

3 comments:

bobbie said...

Enjoy your spirits from the grave, then come home and enjoy a slice of that cake and a warm drink, then snuggle down in a warm bed. It's that kind of night! What am I doing still up? I should take my own advice and snuggle in and get warm.
Tell me all about it in the morning.

MmeBenaut said...

Yummy soup and cake. I always admire people who can bake. I haven't mastered it yet.

Kay said...

This looks so delicious! Yummm...