Saturday, June 7, 2008

I was outside having a smoke and looking in the tree for what I thought was a bird. Turns out it was a squirrel. First squirrel I have seen around here since the kittens have found a home. Unfortunately little critters don't visit often.

We are in the first heat wave of the year, as are a lot of places. Watching the weather channel this morning today's temperature is supposed to be 89 degrees and 96 for tomorrow. That made my mind up. Put the a/c on and cut the grass today. By the time I was done, I was soaked. I have flower beds and two flower hanging baskets in the front, along with two hummingbird feeder. I was on the deck watering one of the hanging baskets and a little female hummer decided she was hungry. She perched herself not six inches from me. I froze - heart pounding. Here we were eye to eye. She was obviously comfortable with my presence there as she started feeding. What an experience. She was checking me out as I was checking her out. The entire time that she was perched, she was bouncing up and down. I knew that hummers were small, but this up close and personal, I was able to see how delicate and beautiful they really are. Unfortunately this experience didn't last as long as I would have liked. A car chose this moment to come down the street and she flew. I was so excited I came in to call Bobbie. While I was on the phone, a Cooper's Hawk was flying around overhead. I think the only other thing that would have topped this day is if I saw the Bald Eagle soaring.

5 comments:

bobbie said...

I'm so glad you had this experience with the hummer. Couldn't be happier unless it had been me. It's such a thrill to be really up close with a wild creature!

Dianne said...

I've never seen one close-up. We don't get many here.

The squirrels are everywhere though and they like me cause I feed them :)

sounds like a great morning!

I'm not liking the heat too much!

Kay said...

I've never seen a hummingbird up close. In fact, I haven't been closer than 15 feet. You are so lucky! I am envious but very happy for you.

I know what you mean about hot weather. Phew! We're really getting the hot and muggy stuff right now.

Rachel said...

I've seen the hummers up close. Out in the country at a relative's home they usually have oodles of them and you can stand near the many feeders and they are buzzing all around you, even bumping into you!! A real thrill! They usually have in the 30's, so you can imagine!!

It's been hot here and our a/c has been on for 2-3 weeks anyway. If you want to sweat just step outside!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

What a day! I once had red Salvias planted in front of my house. One day I was sitting there near them, and a hummingbird flew in, less than a foot from me. It's was amazing! I've seen pictures of people holding them, too. I would love it! Good sighting of the Cooper's, too!!