Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I'm so beside myself I could cry

Today started out to be a good day, but went down hill. I wish that I could explain everything that has happened today, but unfortunately, because two things pertain to work, and with the Internet the way it is with people able to find shit quickly, I cannot go into much detail. Anyway, I found out something about one of my favorite co-workers today. Not something that he did to someone. But something that was done to him. He is one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. In the 15 years that I have known him, the maddest I have ever seen him was him saying "Oh shit." That's it nothing more. This is a man that I would do anything in the world for and he got shit on majorly.

The second thing I was told affects an entire department. When really all the so called "powers that be" want is one person. The people in this department are good people and do not need this.

I take line dance class in the winter at our vo-tech. I have become, not close, but friends with the dance teacher. In the past couple of years, she was laid-off from her job of 20 plus years with nothing. Just a pink slip. Then her husband lost his job. It took a long time for her and husband to find jobs, but those jobs didn't come close to the salaries from their previous jobs. They changed their life style drastically to make ends meet. I was talking to her this afternoon about a work related issue and then she rocked my world. A couple of weeks ago, there was a 16 year old boy riding his moped home at something like two in the morning and was hit and killed by a drunk driver. The drunk driver was my friend's husband. Don't get me wrong, I have a thing about drunk driving since my Aunt was hit and killed by a drunk driver. I just feels so bad for her. She doesn't have the money to bail him out. And I don't know if he should be bailed out or not. She has nothing. She went from a good paying job to a job where she brings home a little over $400.00 a week. She put her house up for sale in the hopes that she can pay all the outstanding debt from before. Her husband is in jail. Her husband killed a boy. Everything that she had worked for is gone.

I am beside myself because there isn't a fucking thing I can do to help these people. This goes against everything that I am. I must go now. I feel a good cry coming on.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm sorry...

that you have to shoulder this and it won't be something you 'get over'.
that your friend's husband is in jail and her life got kicked in the ass.
that your friend drove drunk and killed someone and now will probably never really forgive himself.
that a boy is dead. too young. too soon.

i think i'm going to have to cry with you on this one.

be strong my friend... and when you can't, remember there are lots of us out here ready to cry with you when tragedy strikes.

bobbie said...

Well, girl, I know these people too, and I am as stunned and devastated as you are. I feel so helpless, and want to do so much. And there is not one thing either of us can do. I just pray that someone has an ace up there sleeve so far as those in the department are concerned. As to the rest, I don't know what to say any more than you do. Don't think I'll be sleeping very well tonight.

MmeBenaut said...

Oh Lisa, this is so sad and I can understand your need to have a good sob. "Bad things happen to good people" - I hear that all the time and it's true. These friends will recover and hopefully the husband will have learned a very painful lesson. His poor wife must do what so many others have to do; chin up and bear up. Life does throw curve balls honey but it goes on. Even for the parents of the 16 year old boy who shouldn't have been on the street at two in the morning anyway.
As for your work things - I hope that they are resolved soon and that things improve for you and your friend.
Hug the cats. Make tea and read a book -it will take your mind off things. Besides, you can be there for your dance teacher, to make her cups of tea while she is crying. Sometimes just listening is the best help.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Oh, Lisa, I'm so sorry for all of these things coming at you like this! It's all so sad, and it's difficult to know what to say. I just hope you have a good cry and then begin to feel better.

Dianne said...

Lisa I want to hug you.

It takes so much to handle things that are beyond our control.

You're a good friend and a good soul and you can only do what is humanly possible.

Take care of yourself too.

Tom said...

Hi Lisa
Old womtig from across the pond here... I so hope you don't mind me commenting on this.. I felt the hurt and grief you are feeling in your writing. You have had this running around your head a few days now and hopefully things have settled down feelings wise. When things happen like this to other folk you need to step aside from your feelings and think how you can best help your friends... feel their pain if you must, but do not let it take over you. It is their pain... by that I mean you can help them, by just being there for them.. you can be a shoulder to cry or lean on.

I hope you are feeling better about all this, life can and dose throw all kinds of stuff our way. and we have to deal with it. Please remember you are no good to anyone including yourself if you buckle with grief, you will become stressed and thats not good for you. I say all this to you as a friend you do not know.. I mean well by my words and wish you well at this very trying time.

Tom

Mary said...

I certainly hope you are feeling a little relief by now... That's a tragic story - enough to make anyone cry. My goodness.

I know what you mean about posting rants about the office. There are some folks at my office who found my blog. When I learned that, I went into my archives and deleted two posts about work that weren't very nice :o)

Cheer up.

Kay said...

Hi Lisa,
I came for your Sky Watch photo which I enjoyed but then saw this posting. I'm so sorry you've had to shoulder so much pain. I are a very caring wonderful person. I hope you can just lend a shoulder to people who need you but not let it get you too down. Sending you lots of warm wishes.