Saturday, February 13, 2010

The last snow storm & spouting off

The last snow storm starting as rain. Turned to sleet. Then snow. The winds were howling.

We were lucky. We didn't lose power.

The winds were blowing snow on my back deck. Every time I went out for a smoke, I had to shovel. The kittens were smart and decided to come in. Around four in the morning, Yipper decided it was time for her to go out. She pested until she got her way. I found her inside her hut in the morning warm and toasty. Ralphy held out until five or so.

That was the first order of business. Shoveling the back deck and getting their huts and blankets dry.

Once that was done, time to start out front.

My front walk before. My front walk after.
I took a lot of breaks this day.
My friend vacationing in Florida had e-mailed me asking how we faired with this storm. I had e-mailed her back and as long as we didn't lose power, we did good.
I told her I would make my way to her house, but if she knew anyone that could shovel and plow, she may want to contact them. That I didn't think I could do it for her.

Later, I shoveled my next door neighbor's walk. Her work was open and she reluctantly went to work. Shoveled Bobbie's walk and steps. Walked around to my friends house and shoveled her walk.

Along the way, I took some icicles pictures.





After helping another neighbor get her walk shoveled and a path to the road, I started shoveling out my car. A backhoe cleared the street the night before and I had a lot of ice chucks around my car. I had cleared enough that if I had to drive, I would be able to go, but not enough that I would be able to get back in my spot. There isn't enough room on the sides of the street to be able to park anywhere else without blocking cars.
When I got back in, I checked my e-mail. My friend had e-mailed back saying that she didn't expect me to shovel. Her brother would come around with his backhoe and clear her out. Well what the fuck? She didn't offer to send her brother over here to help me out.
Yesterday I finally got the area around my car clear enough for me to be able to get in and out. At one point, one neighbor was out on his front deck. He would look over and quick turn his back. Then he just kept his back to me. You fucker.
I had said that when we lost power, everyone in the neighborhood had came together and helped one another out. Well I guess now that we have power, everyone is back to their own ways and only thinking of themselves.
Well this pisses me off. I have helped just about everyone in this neighborhood. Is is too much to ask that a little help is returned?
Early afternoon my friend called to say that she got stuck in the snow and couldn't get out. I grabbed my shovel and was on my way. Her car sits low and I couldn't get the shovel under to get any snow out. I tried pushing, but with all my heft, I couldn't move the car. Luckily, a couple of people showed up and we were able to push her out. She invited me to dinner as a thank you, but I declined. Just too exhausted.
Yes, I'm bitchy. I'm tired. My body hurts. I'm tired of shoveling. I'm tired of helping and not getting any help in return.
Today I am going to make my way to the dump. We've been without trash pick-up for almost two weeks now. I don't have any room left in my trash can and it's starting to get stinky.

2 comments:

bobbie said...

I don't understand people at all. Guess I don't have much room to talk when I can't pitch in myself, but I always did in the past. Just can't understand the every man for himself attitude.

I love your icicle pictures.

MmeBenaut said...

That really sucks Lisa and it is something that amazes me all the time. Some people are givers but most people are takers. I'm a giver - always doing something for someone but not enough either for I have a neighbour nearby that I could have helped more but she has a husband and adult daughter at home so she is ok. Not very many people think to give anything to me; not even a phone call. I'm usually the one who does the calling. We also entertain a lot and people accept our hospitality but seldom return it. I figure that it is simply that people become accustomed to the fact that we will do the giving. So, perhaps you should try NOT giving for a while - next time your friend rings to say she's stuck, suggest that she call her brother! BTW that's a lot of snow on your front walk.