Thursday, February 25, 2010

Stop Mr. Postman

I have to say that we have excellent post men and women. They are not supposed to get out of the mail truck, but most times do. During our blizzards, they all did to delivery our mail. Sometimes falling in the process.

Today while on my lunch hour, the mail came. When home I generally go out to get the mail and chat with them. I find when you make nice with your mail carrier, they go out of their way for you.

Our previous carrier, Gary, retired. Oh what a guy Gary was. Everyone along his route absolutely loved him. Our mail carrier now is Derek. I think he will be loved as much as Gary. But Derek had a bad day today.

Let me digress at this point.

You all know about the blizzards we had a couple weeks ago. Then Monday it rained. Oh more water. Just what we need. NOT. The ground is very - very soggy. When you walk on grassy areas, you sink.

When you drive off the asphalt, your tires sink. As Derek found out today.



Derek got stuck in mud in front of my house. Of course I have a snow shovel, but not a real shovel. He called someone on his cell to bring a shovel and said he would walk the street to deliver mail.


I felt really bad and offered to drive him. He declined. Then he made me feel a bit better telling me this was the second time he got stuck today. The first time, a tow truck was needed. Luckily he didn't need another tow.

We made a deal for tomorrow. I will move my car way in front of my box as long as he stays on the asphalt and not try any off roading.


4 comments:

bobbie said...

I did feel bad for him,but you have to admit it was pretty funny.

Dianne said...

I love our regular guy, his back-up is such a creep

I am so sick of the storms!!

stay safe
and above ground ;)

Rachel said...

Poor Derek! They have it rough in the winter. We have a mail lady and she's really sweet. We chat every time she brings a package to me!

Mare said...

Every job has its hassles. I also within the last year had the postman retire and now have a new one. During the summer when I've been known to hand out gladiolas, I gave him some. So far...so good!!