Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Broken pipes and the cops

Yesterday afternoon after I got done my chores, I sat down to read. Yes, one of my many books to read. Anyway, something hit me to check next door. Next door is my mom's house. I ignored it and continued to read. It hit me again to check next door. Again I ignored it. It happened a third time only stronger. Okay I got the message. I went next door. As soon as I opened the door, I heard the pump. Uh-oh. When I got closer to the bathroom, I heard it. Water. Then squish. Broken pipes in the bathroom. I turned the heat off, but the dumb broad I am, never thought to have the house winterized. The sink and shower were just shooting water. The shut-off valve to the sink was broke, but I was able to turn the shower off.



To the breaker box I went. Nothing was marked. Oh great. There is a scanner there that I left on just for voices. You know that if someone came around they would hear voices inside the house. Anyway, I hear the dispatcher dispatching a cop to my street. A quick mental note and it was the house across the street from me. What now. The teenaged girl who lives in the house has ran away several times. I have seen her shove her mom. What a treat she is. So I was walking back to my house when the cop pulled up. The girl was outside and she said, "I'm sorry to bother you, but my mom is freaking out." My first thought was what did you do to her.



I called a plumber friend of mine, but it went to voice-mail. Called another plumber. No answer. Called yet another and he was sorry for me, but he could get anyone out until tomorrow. Called the fourth and explained to him what was going on. He asked if I turned the breaker off. I told him I didn't know which one it was because it wasn't marked. He told me to flip breakers until the pump turned off. Well duh. He then proceeds to tell me to drain the rest of the pipes until they can get here. He said it would be awhile until he can send someone out. I asked him when someone could come. He said 'not for at least an hour and half to two hours.' That's it. So how do I drain the rest of the pipes? He starts to tell me, when another cop car pulls up. Me, just talking out loud to myself as usually say, 'huh. Another cop car pulled up.' I guess he thought I had called the cops for broken pipes and said, 'why don't you ask them if they can drain the rest of the pipes.' I say, 'Oh no. I didn't call them. There is a problem across the street.' He said, "oh. I thought you called. Well anyway we'll be there is a little while."

They came about two hours later. I let them in to do their thing. They were there for a couple of hours doing their thing. Apparently it wasn't just the bathroom, but also the outside hose and possibly the kitchen.

During this, I had the scanner on to see what I could find out about what was happening across the street. Yes I am a nosy bitch. The cop did say that there was a family dispute. The mom has calmed down. They are in counseling and will talk about this with their counselors. There was another issue, not bad, but I don't feel right talking about that.

I was talking with Bobbie and had to laugh at one point. Our new neighbor moved in the day before. After the owner telling her this was a good neighborhood, she had two cops cars across the street. Wonder if she was wondering what kind of neighborhood she really moved into to.

So that was my day yesterday. Some excitement and expense.

Today I just felt like I am just keeping my head above water in work. I need to speak with my boss, but he is avoiding me. He probably thinks I am PMS'ing and want to bitch about something. He should know by now I don't have to have PMS to bitch. Well I do need to speak with him, but it is all about work. Before I left today I told him we really need to talk tomorrow.

Oh and did I tell you I fell in the parking lot. I wasn't really paying attention when I was leaving for lunch and slid on ice. My boss was walking behind his car. I don't know if he seen me or not. I told him I fell. He said, "Yeah. I almost fell over there too." What a guy. Hurt my hand and my back is bothering me. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. If I still hurt, I'll make him do something.

So I guess I am just in a streak of bad luck right now. What can you do, but go with it till it passes. The good thing, tonight is yoga night. I think I really need it right now.

6 comments:

bobbie said...

Hope you really enjoy yoga tonight.

Anonymous said...

Well, that's going to be a tough act to follow!! Seriously, here's to a more quiet time of it!!

Marla said...

I bet you would prefer the basketball issues compared to these issues. I hope your luck starts to change! Have fun tonight.

Dianne said...

oh my!! yet you write about it so calmly, I love that about you :)

can you sue the township and retire in a grand manner? lol

stay safe!

Cliff said...

When you couldn't find a plumber did you tell them whom they were talking to? That should do it.
You should have had the plumber use his pipe cutter on the basketball pole next door.
"The neighbor kids said they're done with my basketball standard, could you cut it in half for me while you're here?"

Mare said...

Wow! That was painful to read. I hope your back is ok. And that your streak of stressful experiences is over. I'm sending some good luck your way. TTFN