Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Year

I hope everyone had a fun safe New Year's Eve. I also wish for everyone a very happy, healthy and safe 2009.

My New Year's eve night was uneventful. It always is. My choice. I choose not to go to parties. I will not risk getting pulled over and possibly losing my license. I will not risk going to a party, not drinking and coming across someone else while driving who choose to drink and drive. My night was spent in the comfort of my home. It was a very cold windy night. I was in bed by 10 and asleep by 10:30. If anyone in the neighborhood shot off fireworks or firecrackers, I did not hear them. If there were people banging pots and pans, I did not hear them. I woke up a couple of times to a sore arm, only to find my baby under the covers laying up against my arm keeping warm.

I miss my old neighbor Sally. Every New Year's Eve she watched her grandchildren, while her kids went to a party. Whenever Sally saw me after she would always apologize. I would always asked for what. The grandkids and her would go on the back deck and bang pots and pans together and she was always sorry that she woke me up. I would laugh and tell Sally that it would take more then that to wake me. And if it did, Oh well. It was a New Year and the kids were having fun. No harm. No foul. I do miss her.


New Year's day was spent taking down Christmas decorations and putting them in the attic. I left the outside for another day as it was still chilly. Before closing the attic steps I made a sweep of the house. Scanning every room for that stray decoration. Satisfied that I put everything away, I closed the steps and took a shower. Needing milk, I went to Wawa. When I came home, my baby met me at the door. Looking down at her I started laughing. Missed something. Actually missed two things. Two Christmas mats. I scanned all the rooms, but I didn't look down. Well it wouldn't be me if I didn't forget to put something away. Well those mats can stay until I take down the outside decorations.

I really don't make resolutions for the new year coming in. I have one resolution that I keep every year, "do unto others as others do unto me." This has serviced me well in the past. So instead of making resolutions that I know I will not keep, I have decided to set some goals for myself. I seem better at reaching a goal than keeping resolutions. So here are some goals that I will try and achieve in 2009.


1. I will try to read the books I have in my closet and not buy many new books. I fear this will be a hard goal to achieve because of my book addiction, but I am going to try my best. Does anyone have the number for book hoarders anonymous?

2. I will try to reduce the number of tarts, votive and jar candles. (Another addiction). This will probably be an easier goal to achieve. (Unless Yankee has a good sale or a new scent. Right now I love Autumn Wreath)


3. I will try to be more patient. Lately I find myself growing impatient with people and things. Being sick for three weeks prior to Christmas and trying to get everything done that needed to be and totally exhausting myself in the process. Trying not be be rude when declining an invitation for Christmas or New Years, but trying to express that these are my days to rejuvenate myself.

Maybe it was the horrid work conditions I endured toward the end of 2007 and all of 2008. Having to file a formal complaint against another employee because he threatened me. The sleepless nights, headaches, stomach problems. People who were my friends and co-workers for years finding their version of politics and stabbing me in the back and trying everything they could think of to make my life miserable to the point of trying to make me quit or even ways to try and get me fired. I am not talking one or two people. I am talking six people. Six against one. Nice odds, huh? I am a strong stubborn person who is not in the habit of giving people what they want. This abuse did effect my health, but I have endured. With the local election, politics will now be turning. The tides have changed. 2009 will be better. I will never be able to be friends with these people again. But I will be able to get through the work days and go home happy. I will work on my patience. I will work on trying to trust people again. It will take time.


4. Keeping focused on one project. My brain has been so scattered of late. I start one thing, stop for no reason and start another. When I catch myself doing this, I stop that project and go back to the first telling myself to finish. So this year, I will focus to finish the first project before starting another. (I don't think I will be able to achieve this, but I will try.)


5. Working on taking better pictures. I am happy with how far I have come in my photography. Yes I have upgraded myself from picture taking to photography. This is a hobby that I have enjoyed this past year or so. It has been a great release and source of exercise. I will be looking into upgrading my current camera, an HP Photosmart R837, to something with more mega pixels and zoom. Any suggestions would be appreciated.


6. Continuing with my weight loss. I keep ping-ponging between 20-25 pounds weight loss. Now with the holidays over, and most of the goodie's gone, I can concentrate on getting back to a normal healthy diet. And throw some exercise. My line dance class with be starting soon. Our local recreation center will be starting an 8 week yoga class I will try.


7. Just trying to be an all around good person. I will treat people the way I want to be treated, which I do already. I will think before I talk. I sometimes say something innocently, but after it is said, I realize from the expression or the silence that I have offended or hurt that person unintentionally. I would like to say that I will work on my temper, but that would be impossible.

So these are some goals that I would like to achieve this year. I hope that I can achieve all of them and more.

There will be a lot of changes this year for everyone. Some good. Some bad. Together will and can get through the good and bad.


8 comments:

Kay said...

Wow! You've got a long list there. I didn't make a concerted effort to come up with any resolutions. I think it's because I was feeling lazy. Hmm.. perhaps that's my resoluttion for 2009... I will try not to be so lazy.

My son used to drive me crazy because I had a set of Christmas angel hangings that he liked to hang around strange places in the house. I wouldn't find it until June if ever. When we moved to Hawaii, we stopped in New Mexico and I gave him all the Christmas angels I had. I'm sorry I did because I'd like to hang one up just to remind me of this little joke of his.

Marla said...

You do have alot of goals set. I am not a goal setter and I should be. I get frustrated because I can't even make progress on my to do list. Maybe I getting older and certainly slower. I know of some goals I should set, but I think it would set me up for failure.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your list. I'm not sure I made one or just carried over from last year...

MmeBenaut said...

What a brilliant set of goals, Lisa. I think I might try some of those myself. I can particularly relate to book hoarding and buying and also to forgetting what I started and not finishing. Oh, and weight loss. I am 70 kg and I need to lose at least another 10kg. I'm hoarding all of my old clothes that don't fit in the hope that one day I'll get there. My weakness is sweet things - right now it is christmas cake because I only cut it last night and I'm munching my way through it but trying to eat some fruit and nuts too. I can't stand to cook proper meals when my husband is away but he's coming home tonight, thank goodness.
I do hope that your workplace is much better this year. No-one could possibly enjoy working under those conditions and you deserve a medal for it.
Happy New Year Lisa!

bobbie said...

A long list! Your a good person,Lisa, and you do well toward most of these goals already - Honest! You'll do fine.

David said...

A great list. One that I'm sure inspired many of us to "re-look" at ours.
Best wishes to you in 09!

David

Dianne said...

I'm with Bobbie - you are your resolutions :)

one year my Christmas mats stayed out til spring lol

Mare said...

You have certainly put a lot of thought into this. I am not good at keeping New Year's Resolutions. But I will try to make some improvements in my life!