Saturday, January 10, 2009

Good day for stew

As per the norm anymore around here, it is cloudy, dreary, damp, cold and we are expecting snow mixed with rain. Oh joy. We are sooo sun deprived.

So anyway, figuring if I had to be cooped up inside yet again, I would make some comfort food. That comfort for today is crock pot beef stew and I am sharing the recipe with you. It is an easy recipe and if you decide to make it, let me know what you think.

Crock Pot Beef Stew
2 lbs. beef cubes
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. Worcestershire
1 1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 clove garlic (minced)
4 carrots
2 onions (chopped)
1 stalk celery
3 potatoes (diced)
1 bay leaf (optional)
Combine flour, salt, pepper and paprika.
Add beef cubes and mix.
Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours. Or 4 to 6 hours on high.
If you use the bay leaf, remove before serving.
As per my norm, I made the recipe as given to me (above). Then I changed it around some. First the full recipe was too much for me so I halved it. I don't use the bay leaf. I add more carrot, celery and potatoes then the recipe calls for. Half way through the cook time, I add peas. That's all the changes I have made.
I have also found that cooking on low is better then high, so if you are going to make the stew, start it early. Take into consideration the peeling and dicing time.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you make it, let me know what you think and if you changed it around or adding anything.

4 comments:

David said...

The crock pot is a common sight and smell in this house. Stew is a fav!
Recipe looks great, and thanks!

David

Marla said...

It snowed some yesterday here so I will have to get out and scoop a little. The stew sounds good. With any soup or stew reciped I always add more vegtables because it never seems like enough.

Ralph said...

Okay I am going to try it - love beef stew. You cook like I do. Sounds good but what if I. . .
Ralph

bobbie said...

Yum! I know anything you cook is Gooooood. The sun came out today, but it's still cold!